Easy quick questions about buying a new iMac and vid playback

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EB, Jun 19, 2007.

1. EB

EB 2/24/08

So I read this on macrumors.com today about the redesign on the iMacs:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316105

I have been thinking about buying an iMac for awhile now, but what I read is that the new line is coming out and they are dropping the 17" model and cutting the price on the 20" models. I kind of would like to get a 20" so it would be nice to wait and get a new model at a possible lower price. Since I am new to Macs these are my buying questions:

When there is an upgrade to a line, do the newest models out generally have more problems than something that has been out awhile?

When apple upgrades a line like this, do they sell the old models at a discounted price? If so should I religiously watch for sales at my local apple store on the online store?

Are these (the current iMacs and then the redesigned ones) upgradeable? That is, are there extra bays to add a second hard drive, or more memory myself? If so, would me opening it up void the apple warranty?

Also what is the general consensus on iMacs? All I see are thread about people bragging about their Mac Book Pros :), never anything about an iMac.

Video Playback trouble:
    The last issue I have is video playback. I use vlc for most and quick time plus plugins to play other things. Playing things like .mkv .flv (with vlc), it plays really slow and gives me error messages. Is this just because the computer I am using is old and busted (old G4 powerPC 450mhz 320 megs of ram and a 16meg video card running 10.4.9)?

Sorry for the long post, but they should be simple questions for someone who knows macs :wavey:

2. EB

EB 2/24/08

Thanks,
    something else I just thought of was that, will apple wait until their educational discount + free ipod deal end bbefore they release the new model, or will they want to get the new model out before school starts? Again since I am new to Macs, I generally don;t know how they do business.

I do read that vlc works flawlessly for everyone else, so i figured I am having trouble because I am using such an old machine (my PC died and this is all I had laying around. I enjoy using using it so much I want to buy a new one now).