easy question about text resizing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cedric, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

This should probably be easy for most of you guys to answer. How do I change it (either in HTML or dreamweaver) so that the size of my text doesn't change when holding down ctrl and scrolling. There doesn't seem to be a function in dreamweaver for it that I can find. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Wow, I never even knew you could do that! :) Anyway, I believe if you use CSS to give the text a specific size, that should prevent the text from resizing.

So, for example:
    Code:
    <p style="font-size: 12px">This should always stay 12 pixels</p>
    or something like that. I'm not sure if that actually works, and I can't test it from work. Give it a shot.

EDIT: Alright, I just read that specifying font sizes in pixels with CSS will prevent text resizing in IE, but in Firefox, you can still resize the text. The only other way I can think to completely prevent text resizing would be to use graphics, but that's not recommended.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  3. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

awesome! Thank ya, fellow Hawaiian.

4. skooter

skooter Guest

WERUreo you are right, the only browser it will not resize in is IE and maybe one or two others, IE tries to "rewrite" the DOM and change the size of fonts that way,while all other browsers use a Zoom technique, so even if you set the px size the Zoom will take over.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

zoom is okay tho.... it doesn't mess with the layout because everything is increased/decreased proportionally. The problem is when the text is changed but nothing else is.

6. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, for the sake of accessibility, it's better in the long run to let the text resizing work. People who have a hard time seeing the text on web pages can resize it to make it easier to read. By working around the text resizing, you're basically eliminating that part of your user base. I read somewhere that it is better to use relative text sizing, like ems, which will scale text proportionally to a base font size. By default, that would be the default font size of the browser, but it could also be set in the html.

BTW, cedric, what part of Hawai'i are you from? Oh yeah, and where you grad?? :)