Easy Fix to the annoying and awkward SONY ex71 cord

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I posted this as a reply to someone that was fed up with the ex71 cord on another forum and many readers thought it was a good fix, so I thought I would pass on the fix to the ex71 users here.

Many users are confused by the design of the ex71 cord and why it is made in such an unusual length on one side versus the other. It was designed that way so you could put the player on your left arm and the entire cord would not pull to the left. Also, the initial cord is short so there is nothing to wrap up when your player is strapped to your upper arm. Works great for workouts. However, I wanted my ex71s for the office.

The best solution I could find to the 71 cord is to put the phones in my ears, and take the cord that goes between each headphone, and find the middle where a they conventionally would meet with one hand. With the other hand, you pull the main cord that goes to the plug tight along side the other cord. Where the main cord meets the middle of the thinner cord, use a twist tie that came with the phones to tie the cords together so it phones now hang in a traditional fashion. I used a twist tie because I wanted the cord meeting spot to be adjustable and even removable if need be.

Now comes rolling up that extension cord. Here's a tip: roll up the excess closest to the end that goes in the iPod. This way, if you keep your iPod in a pocket like me, the rolled up cord can go in with, so it doesn't fly around and tug on your earphones. Here is the diagram for the earphone cord fix:

[​IMG]

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Just about anywhere that you can get the black versions. Best Buy for one. They had a few sets when I was there Sunday.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

how do they compare with the B&O's?

obviously, the B&O's look cooler, but as with lots of B&O's stuff, is that the full extent of their superiority?

i know the B&O's aren't the best and i haven't had the chance to try any other ear pods besides some uber cheap sonys i had ten years or so ago. i do know i much prefer the sound of my Sennheiser HD 497's to the B&O's, but i don't know the B&O's compare with other in-ear headphones. :)

what do you think?

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Well, you get more bass since the SONYs are canal sealed, but that's about it IMO. The cord is annoying as hell and the sound is better then stock Apple buds, but no where near quality to the B&Os. The SONYs fell out fairly often since there was no support for them and they took constant adjustment as they have to be in my ears just right to get any bass and the best sound. The B&Os never need adjustment. As comfortable as the B&Os are, the SONYs are the most comfortable earphone I have had yet. The rubber is very soft. The ex81s are supposed to have stems that go over the back of the ear like the B&Os, so I would look into those instead.

Because they are in ear canal, they are also isolating earphones. They use suction to stay in, so don't get them if you are like me and need to hear your phone ring in the office or talk to co-workers all that often. The cord is a bit rediculous like I said before, and requires that you use the extension cord unless the iPod is mounted to your arm since the phones cord is only about 16" long.

Your issue will be that you have B&Os now, so you'll be dropping a nice amount of cash for decent phones if you want better sound quality. And that quality won't be as noticable as you are hoping. If you are going to drop a bit of dough for in ear canals, I would move up to the Shures or Etymotics.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Good summary. Thanks. :)

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

It just means that it's the white model. If you read the description you would see the cord is still the same as the rest of the other EX71s.