GUN Easy access in vehicle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by feetball, Mar 28, 2007.

1. feetball

feetball New Member

How do you guys carry in your vehicle?

I'm looking for ideas that are concealed (TX law) but easily and quickly accessed.

Right now, I put it in the center console of the truck or door pocket of the car (with a towel covering). I don't like those solutions.

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Holster by the side between the console. I may be more likely to be pulled over than assaulted in a vehicle, but it doesn't take shit for time when pulled over to toss it in the console.

I thought you guys in TX just finished ironing out that 'transporting' grey area, didn't you?

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Holster betwixt the seat and center console. Legal in AZ to carry that way, so I wouldn't move it if I got pulled over.

4. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

shoulder holster with a shirt or light jacket on? Other wise I have a cheapo uncle mikes I keep it wedged in between the seats by my thigh in my truck :dunno:

5. feetball

feetball New Member

TX folks ... if you have it wedged between your seats, do you have it covered?

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I do this or occasionally put it in the door pocket.

7. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The only thing that changed was that the burden of proof on "traveling" now falls on the prosecution instead of the defendant. The legislature has not defined what constitutes "traveling" juet yet. Presumably, it means nonroutine car trips covering some signifigant distance.

"Transportation" has always been protected should you be en route to/from some specific task, such as buying the firearm, hunting, a shooting range, selling the weapon, servicing it, etc. Hell, if you just wanted to show it or lend it to a friend, that might be sufficient. I believe the catch is that you must legitimately be going to or from that task without "signifigant detour." Stopping off for gas along the way is probably allright; having it in the vehicle 2 weeks afterwards, likely not so.

8. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

in florida it has to be "securely incased, for example in a glove box whether locked or not" unless you are carrying concealed in which case it must be "on or about your person". For me this means easiest access is in the center console.

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

On me. I don't take my gun off to ride in the car.

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Where do you carry it? I didn't originally and sometimes I still don't, but when I stopped to think about it, I have a seat belt over an untucked shirt over my gun and quick review said if I ever needed the gun I would be fumbling around trying to get it out.

11. footratfunkface

If you need it that fast, you need to hit the gas, not the trigger. Not getting shot is better than shooting the other guy.

That said, if you've managed to put your car in a precarious position where you can't drive away (by which I mean ram your way) out of the situation, then you would need to have a backup plan. I'm a lefty, so when I'm driving, my pistol is more accessible than most, I guess. I carry concealed in an IWB holster. That includes in the car. If I'm not driving, I have still never had a problem angling my body so that I can access my blaster.

12. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

if youre stuck in rush hour traffic and some road rager wants your head, you may not be able to ram your way out.

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I'm thinking that's where the "backup plan" of carrying his blaster on his person comes in...

14. Werm

Werm Guest

On my hip

15. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

agreed. I dont have a ccw (will next year), but it would seem to me the most logical place to carry while in a vehicle would be on you. If somebody came up to you out of nowhere and put a gun to your head with the window down trying to carjack you, i dont think the best idea would be to reach for a gun. It would make the most sense to me to get out of your car and then draw your weapon

16. Thunderbear

The one time I was in that position, I would have needed it handy, so I always put it in the holster next to my right leg. I'd rather not be in that position again. I usually have a back up on me, somewhere, anyway.

17. footratfunkface

I do not like traffic. Even less do I like people getting out of their cars in traffic. If someone gets out of a car around me, and I can't directly drive away, my seat belt comes off, my hand goes to my pistol. It's a precautionary measure until I feel like the person milling about is not coming to my vehicle.

I make it a point to not incite shit with other drivers. I make it a point to always leave room between me and the guy in front, even in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the expressway. I make it a point to watch my mirrors and occasionally glance around.

I've been in a vehicle at a gas station with my fiancee when a man approached my window (which was down, and isn't electric) asking for money. I talked too long, said the wrong things, and he wouldn't leave. I couldn't drive off because the nozzle was still in my truck. He starts getting closer and more beligerant. I felt he was becoming threatening, and I put my hand on my blaster, which he could see. He ended up backing off after a few words, but it was not a pleasant experience.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Throw a small towel or a T-shirt over it.

19. Thunderbear

I agree, I'm pretty much the same way. I'd just rather have it close at hand than have to unbuckle and unholster. My hand usually rides on it anyway in a natural driving position, covers it from prying eyes, and leaving it accessible. But then, open carry is legal.. ish.. in my state, so concealment isn't a concern of mine until I get out of the Jeep.

20. feetball

feetball New Member

That's what I usually do. Need to put a clip on the center console for a Uncle Mikes IWB holster to clip on so my XD-Compact doesn't fall down between the seat and console.

Thanks for the ideas folks!!!

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I was thinking about that. Maybe easier to access but much less convenient to try and aim out the window. Your thoughts?

22. footratfunkface

Draw with the left hand, transfer the gun to the right. The pistol isn't locked to one side. Learn to use both hands. You don't know what sorts of situations you might face. If someone is close enough to where you can't stick your gun out the window to shoot them, you should probably be trying to get away from the window anyways. Shoot through the door. I'll fuck my car up to save my own life. That includes ramming other cars, popping tires, etc. I will incur a $500 deductible, a ticket, and an increase in my insurance just to be alive to pay for such things.

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

These are fine points. :)