Easiest way to transfer files on Internal HD -> new Internal HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

I'm upgrading my computer and replacing my current 80gb D drive with a 250gb drive. I don't have an external, so what would be the easiest way to transfer everything over?

Also, all of my system programs are on my C Drive so I won't have to reinstall everything correct? Will programs like photoshop and certain games on my D Drive still be runnable after I transfer to the new HD? Like will it create a mirror or will I have to reinstall stuff.

Thanks a bunch.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Get something like Norton ghost. It comes on a floppy [or maybe a cd these days] and boot up with it in the drive, and both hard drives attached. Ghost will mirror all of your data from your old drive over to your new HD. Take out old drive, leave new in. Reboot. Profit.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What brand of drive is it?

Most retail drives will come with software to setup the drive and transfer over your existing data. You'll put your new drive in as a slave, format it, copy over your data through the program, make the new drive the master and then boot up just like SLED said.

If you have one hard drive with more than one partition, you'll probably need to have the same amount of partitions on the new drive.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

To add what cmsurfer said...
    The CD that comes with retail HDDs can be booted from as he said, but in same cases the CD also has a Windows version that you can install as well.
    So that, then shut down and put the new HDD inplace of the CD/DVD drive (or atleast one them.
    Then you can boot back up and use the software to format and copy everything over.

But then if you do that with the HDD you can also use Windows Disk Management to format the drive and use Windows Explorer to copy the files.