SRS Earning respect

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ia_cox, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

Had a thought about this over the weekend...

There's people in everyone's life, whether teachers, parents, bosses, whatever, that you have to respect. However, I've noticed (mostly with teachers since I'm only 19) that there's roughly two different type of people in this area...people that demand respect and use their power to maintain authority, and people who you respect naturally. There have been teachers that I thought so incompetent and stupid that the only reason I called them "Mrs." whatever was because I forced to. However I've known teachers that I've loved so much that I would call them "Mrs." even if I wasn't in school. What is the difference between these two people, either faking respect or having true respect, and how do you become a member of the group that naturally earns respect?

or does this make no sense at all.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its all about content, if a huge person with lots of muscles passes by versus a small weak person then its the content of the muscles that demand respect, aka the one person has more, then the other, now wether its more money, more intelligence, more authorithy its always because these persons 'weigh' more in terms of content compared to the rest. Were we respect older people because they have MORE life experience. You love one teacher because they are more funny, or more understanding, while you don't respect the not so funny teacher who doesn't understand you. Now since this is a newly explained concept to you and before you go running rampant with trying to be as funny,or musclebound as you can be in order to earn respect there is of course a catch to it.

Respect is a thought form of human idiocy , its a shallow form of thinking and its definition on how you treat other people in terms of how you respect them is appaling.

It is true that content defines how you are treated in life, afteral a girl with big boobs and beautifull looks gets more attention then ugly betty , however the first question asked is 'what content should i gather in life?' The right answer is that you should gather unconditional love and help others as much as you can. Because loving and helping others is the *real meaning* of life. And instead of treating others based on the amount of respect you have for them, your love should shine like the sun unconditional for each and everyone and anything in your existance.

Gather all the content you want in your life to self gratify your existance , just remember that love is the most valuable of all of them and makes the value of the other content almost reduced to dust.

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I don't care who the person is, I don't give/show someone respect unless they show me respect as well. I don't care age, authority etc.

If it's their title (such as a teacher, officer, judge, doc etc) then of course i'll call them as such.

People who demand respect imo really don't deserve it.

4. shiba kesaigi!

shiba kesaigi! New Member

so you are saying regardless of how different people treat you, you shall treat them equally as you treat everyone else?

5. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

my bad for getting you ban. i was being a stupid 07 noob. hug it out?

6. razi

razi New Member

a lot of it is self-confidence and self-image. people who are confident with themselves don't feel the need to force themselves on others when given a position of authority or power.

7. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

so if we are to love everyone unconditionally and equally, then what criterion is there left to decide whom we want to marry, or have sex with, etc.?

8. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

I've always thought that respect could not be demanded.. only earned. The self-righteous types who demand it from others are actually looking for obedience. Sure, they call it respect, but that's incorrect (it's arrogant, actually). I am more than willing to offer respect to those who I think have earned it, and I am more likely to obey them because of it. Of course, if they do something that causes me to rescind my respect, there goes my willingness to obey.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  9. MoarGuinness

MoarGuinness New Member

I agree. As far as the second point goes...I will address them only by formality, but it's not related to a respect thing imo.

Respect is a two way street. Don't expect to get any without giving some in return. Some people could see that as being selfish, but hey, someone always gains something out of everything they do, whether it's monetary or mental/emotional gratification.