SRS Early Morning Crew v. how do you get up?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pen Is Mightier, Oct 23, 2008.

1. So...I have to wake up in the mornings and I usually have no motivation to wake up. :rofl: I'm in college so I can miss SOME classes and still be fine so sometimes I'm just like fuck it and go back to bed. Any tips on motivating yourself to get up? I wake up early every other weekday (MWF) to go running and somehow I throw myself up for those 95% of the time...but today I had a really stupid class at 10AM, alarm went off at 9AM and I was just like fugg it. I wish I had got up though. :o My brain in the morning basically convinces me that nothing matters and I go back to bed. I'm like addicted to sleep...I could sleep 10-12 hours a every day easy. So comfortable/warm and then when you wake up its cold and shit.

2. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

The motivation to keep my job and earn a living gets me up. When you dont think you have any true responsibilities (whether you realize it or not) its easy to say "fuck it" and sleep in. But when your job and all subsequent bills depend on you getting up and dragging your ass into work, you will find the motivation.

You need to get into the state of mind that your education is important and is costing you or your parents a shitload of money. While you may not be making the payments now, when you are outta school and cant land a job because you performed poorly in school you will kick yourself in the teeth for squandering your education over an extra hour of sleep.

I wake up at 515am every morning for my job and aside from some tea or an energy drink, making a living is motivation enough for me.

3. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i literally throw myself out of bed. my alarm goes off twice, once for me to semi wake up and hit snooze, the 2nd time for me to really get up. i dont really open my eye until after i go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. it never has gotten any easier for me, and the fact that its completely dark at 6am makes it even worse right now

4. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

I want to do good in school, so I have no choice some days :dunno:

5. I do well in school though haha, thats the funny part. :o And it's me who is paying for it. I receive $0 from my parents.

I guess its just because it was a stupid class I said fuck it...I wish I had a more important class on T/Th mornings.

Moreso I was just looking for tips on how to wake up...like have a countdown, make coffee/tea/hot chocolate when you wake up, lots of alarms, etc. I have only my phone's alarm right now and I hate that son of a bitch so much...it just goes beep beep beep. The weird thing is though sometimes I wake up like 5 seconds before it starts to go off. :eek3:

6. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I was like you once. I thought 9am was "really early". I worked 2nd shift, got up around 10-1030 in the morning, stayed up til midnight.

Guess what time I get up for work now? 5:30. AM. Why? Because I have to be at work at 730, out the door at 630 so I can get to the parking lot and catch the shuttle to work...

Do i wish I could go back? Actually, no. It's somewhat of a pain to get up, but it's nice to get out of work at 430 and have time to relax in the evening or be social if I want.

However...it really comes down to age. In college, it's the norm to sleep in all day and stay up all night. Once you get out of college and working, it's no longer the norm.

And like someone else said...when you're working full time, you are motivated to get up for the money and benefits...college is harder because you don't have any tangible motivators for going to classes.

7. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

A stern threat from my department chair did the trick.

8. Yeah I think it's because anything before 10 AM in college is like dead. Its completely silent and there is basically no one awake. :rofl: I hope to take some later classes next quarter. :o For now, I try to go to bed "early"....early to bed for me is before midnight...that is a rare occassion though.

9. Because class = a job. And you guys obviously know all about me...lol I didn't make this thread to get critiqued...I made it for tips on how the fuck to wake up haha.

10. eljefedetonto

I thought that would help me when I was a freshman... it only made the problem 10x worse :o

11. Yeah ahah then I'd end up sleeping in even later and going to bed even later...fawk. I think once I move out of the dorms and into my apartment I will go to bed earlier...here it seems like there is always something going on at night to keep me up. :mad:

12. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

I take a nap in the afternoon so for me its just getting through the day

13. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

1st alarm is set an hour and a half before I need to get up so I can hit the snooze at least 7 times before I have to drag my fat ass out of bed. 2nd alarm is set to the last possible moment before I have to get up. First alarm is the radio, 2nd is a buzzer.

I HATE that buzzer. I try to make sure I'm up before that fucker goes off :rofl:

Oh, and I also use one of these when I'm at the SO's house so I don't wake him up
    http://productsforthedeaf.com/pro852129.html

When that thing starts vibrating under your pillow, you'll never get back to sleep.

There are better ones here http://www.marilynelectronics.com/Alarm-Clocks-s/5.htm

14. eljefedetonto

:rofl: yeah that didn't help either. my neighbors ended up being way too fun.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

I've trained my body to wake up at the same time everyday, and I NEVER use the snooze button.

My body knows once that alarm goes off I need to get up. As long as your body knows that it needs to start moving once your alarm goes off and you have your alarm set at the same time throughout the week (Including weekends), you don't even need the alarm anymore :)

And yes, I'm a college student too... anything before 9 is empty

As a matter of fact, anything before noon is usually empty

16. Lol, I wake up at like 5:00AM on MWF, 9AM T/Th and then on weekends I have to catch up on sleep and am usually drunk/hungover so I wake up at like 12-2PM.

17. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

well, no wonder you can't get up or sleep.

Find a consistent time that you can get up EVERY day. Your current sleep schedule is confusing as hell for your body.

18. Today was epic fail. Woke up at 5AM, went running, came back, start doing HW in bed, next thing I know I'm 100% asleep and I wake up at 3PM. SHIT!!!!!!!!

19. Handsom3

Handsom3 Our wrongs remain unrectified and our souls won't

I used to that shit in college. Now I wake up at 5am or 4am everyday. I work 4 days a week at 6am and the day I don't work I'll take it easy in the morning, but I make sure to get out of bed. However, my body now wakes up at 5am regardless of alarm clock or not, kind of sucks on vacations.

20. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Here's the deal.

If you want to wake up early, you have to go to bed early. It really is that simple.

I've also read somewhere that the BEST sleep you can get is the sleep you get BEFORE midnight.

I'm in the same boat as you (except I have a job and I don't sleep in as bad as you do--I'm usually like 15 minutes late for work).

Essentially, it got to the point where my boss had to give me a verabal reprimand and is going through the steps if I fuck up anymore, so I'm FORCED to get up on time or face going down the steps of correction towards getting fired.

Here are the things I've done that have worked for me:

1. Buy a new alarm clock. You've conditioned yourself to sleep in to your normal alarm clocks, so now you need a new sound that you are going to train yourself to listen to.

2. Go to bed BEFORE midnight NO MATTER WHAT. Seriously, even if it's 11:30 (which is when I go to bed now), you have no idea the difference that that makes. Like I said, your best sleep is going to happen before midnight, so I suggest going to bed on weeknights as early as 10:30 or 11 PM.

3. Drink two large glasses of water before going to bed. Trust me, this is the most effective thing I've done to date. Nothing like having to piss like a ten-peckered billy goat to get you out of bed.

4. Wake up at the same time EVERYDAY. Even on the weekends. Now here's the trick, on the weekends you don't have to STAY up, but you do have to wake up and go through your daily rituals as if you were going to class. It's the habit of waking up at that same time everyday that you are going for. When you've gone through your routine (piss, shower, eat breakfast, whatever), feel free to go back to bed.

5. Reward yourself for good behavior. Every so often it's nice to wake up and go "hey, i deserve a reward for this." This is going to sound stupid, but I LOVE McDonald's breakfast (particularly their bagels). So every couple of weeks, when I wake up early enough and have been doing well, I reward myself with going to McD's for breakfast. I know that's a retarded reward, but it's given me SOMETHING to look forward to. I hate my job, so the fact that I hate my job makes me not want to get up to go to it. But if I give myself a reason to get up or a reward once in a while, it helps immensely.

6. This is going to sound off the wall, but it worked for me. Practice getting up. :rofl: I know it sounds stupid, but it works. What I mean is, for the next couple of evenings, set your alarm for a minute or two ahead of the current time, get yourself down in your bed as if you are going to sleep, and close your eyes. When the alarm goes off, IMMEDIATELY jump out of bed, shut it off, and go through the motions of your morning routine. Do that for 20 or 30 times, for a couple of nights. You'll be surprised at how effective it is because it's essentially training you to jump out of bed automatically whenever you hear your alarm, and it worked very well for me.

7. Finally, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GET USED TO HITTING SNOOZE. Snooze is a death sentence for people like us. When you train yourself to use snooze, you are only making the situation work. When you set your clock fast to "trick yourself" you are only making the situation worse. All those little stupid things you do, are only making things worse. Set your clock for the EXACT time you want to get up (not early, don't set your time fast or anything like that) and then GET UP when the alarm goes off and resolve to never hit your snooze button ever again.

21. petite*belle

petite*belle New Member

I'm going to try this. Right now it's having two alarms on both corners of my room so I HAVE to get up out of bed to turn them off. But on the desperate occasions... I get up out of bed, turn them off and then hop back into bed :rofl:

22. Jake!

Jake! Guest

get one of these, i got mine for ~15 on ebay

the quote is incorrect: you can set it as a normal alarm clock

23. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

^ Don't try that gimmicky shit. All you are going to do is conditon yourself to where the only thing that will get you up is something extremely loud.

Seriously, all you've got to do is follow my advice and train yourself to respond to your alarm clock.

24. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Yeah, I got so bad that I had two alarm clocks--one by the bed and one across the room. And I conditioned myself to jump out of bed, hit snooze on both alarms and then jump back into bed.

Make sure you follow all (or at least most) of what I said in that post. All the stuff combined will almost ensure that you'll always get up. The most important parts to follow, though are to never hit snooze, go to bed before midnight (but preferably 10:30 or 11), and get on the same exact sleeping schedule everyday. If you don't do those things, then you will battle the mornings everyday for the rest of your life.

If you follow my advice, you can actually condition your body to wake up before the alarm clock ever goes off.

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

8-12g of enteric coated fish oil a day