Early Impressions of Windows Pro x64

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Noah, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Downloaded the Evaluation Version of Windows x64 over the weekend and have been updating all the drivers and software. I will preface this with the simple fact I am NOT a programmer, technical guru...whatever. I enjoy technology and pushing it to the max.

Install - Once I had downloaded the drivers needed from various sites (Video, sound, etc), and received the e-mail with a Product Key...things went fine. I did have to switch the SATA settings in the BIOS to get the HDD's setup correctly (Combination is the current setting, both HDD's connected to SATA 0 and 2 respectively). The install went no differently than did any other version of Windows. The download was an ISO file, and burned it onto a CD.

Setup - drivers and software install went with ease, save for a few applications. Those that gave error messages were very simple - "This program will not run on your version of Windows." Outside of setting up Admin rights, passwords and re-installing all the software...things went with ease. I am missing drivers for the Printers (A Canon Inkjet and a Sony Thermal Printer) and my Scanner (also a Canon). No word from either vendor as to when x64 drivers will be avail.

Use - this is a seamless transition. There is a choice for Internet Explores, one x32 and one x64. The x64 version seems to run a tad faster than the 32-bit brother. Games (BF2 and HL2) both load noticeably quicker, and there have been no software conflicts as yet. Photoshop I have not had a chance to really use yet, save for some basic editing. It didn't seem to perform any faster or slower...need more time to play with it though. I did run SuperPi for kicks, returned times as follows -

1M - 37 seconds
    2M - 1:26
    8M - 6:39

There was one instance, early on, while using Media Player that the system re-started on its own. The Event Log was clear...no explanation for that. Most likely a software conflict somewhere. It was a, knock on wood, a one-time thing.

Outside of that...not sure what else to say. I like it. In areas it seems faster...certainly no slower than Windows XP Pro x32.

2. Noah

Oh yeah....McAfee Viruscan, Firewall, etc DO NOT work with x64 Windows. The only Virus program that I've found that does is called Avast. Can anyone shed some light on them? Good, bad??

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Unless I'm mistaken, you're running Windows x64 on a non-64-bit processor. Why?

4. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

you're mistaken, what you mentioned isn't even possible, EM64T FTW

5. Noah

:ugh: EM64T FTW ;)

Nor could you even install Windows x64 without the correct hardware ;)

6. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

it's not x64, it's AMD64. :)

7. Penguin Man

Ah, I see. I didn't know there were P4's with 64-bit extensions (well, I vaguely heard something about it, but didn't really care since I'm a) not in the market for a new machine and b) not planning to buy an Intel machine). I was thinking "WTF, how does it manage to do that without a 64-bit chip?"

8. Penguin Man

Same shit, different pile.

9. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Actually all PIV 6xx series chips are 64 bit, also all celeron models ending in 3x1 are also. Go figure 64 bit celerons :)

10. Noah

Not really...what differences I'm aware of are

P4EE - 2MB L2 Cache, 1066 FSB and the 64-bit ability.

P4 - 800 FSB, and 32-bit only...not sure on the cache though.

Not a computer nut :hs: