GUN Early Fathers day present: Pics of my new Open Blaster .355 Major

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Jun 6, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

I picked up my very first Fathers Day present last night.

SV Infinity .355 Major (9mm) 2011 double stack
    extra Barrel and Comp for .38 super
    Shuemann Ultramatch bull barrel Ported
    Titanium Comp
    Titanium GR
    SVI Internals
    STI short trigger (2lbs)
    JPoint laser sight

Slide lightening done by JPL Precision

It was my buddy Gunters Open Division blaster he made Master Class with. I thought it would be an economical way of getting into Open ($2500 + $600 in magazines) Still beats $4500 for a new blaster. So I got the homie hook up.

She's nothing pretty to look at, unless your a competitive shooter where she's beautiful to me. I ordered new SVI magazines, some how I think it's wrong that 5 pistol magazines cost more than a new Glock, but 29+1 9mm FTW! And a new trigger, hammer, magazine button and magwell from Brazos.

It's on now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

off to the races...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

dot dot dot

[​IMG]

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

:bowdown: Major 9 seems to be the heat right now.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

with 7.9 grains of Silhouette behind a 124 grain Montana gold bullet, yeah that's going to be some heat.

.355 x 1400 fps = HEAT

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

You must have sprung for tuned mags huh? Who did them?

I know you handload but did you see that Front Sight article that Atlanta Arms is producing .355 Major headstamped ammo now?

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Brazos Tuned mags, 2x 170mm and 3x 140mm, grams followers, Dawson basepads, you know the song.

Yup, I saw that article. I'm wating for someone else to try them. My SV will cycle regular 115gn WWB ammo, but after work today I'm going to buy an 8lb jug of Ram Silhoutte.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Nice blaster. Only thing I would change is to cut the slide for a bullet proofed doctor. The dovetail mounted jpoint sits too high. If it was low mounted the dot would be where you expect the front sight to be. Thus you can use the same index/muscle memory for limited and open.

Also shooting major is hell on those jpoints. Ask me how I know. I keep 3 jpoints pre sighted in my bag.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, I agree. It's definitely design plan as an enhancement. How much bigger/smaller is the Dr to the Jpoint? How many rounds have you had through the Dr.?

The slide and frame is still very tight for the round count. I imagine I'll send it to JPL for hard chrome to tighten it up after a few rounds.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The only doctor I have is the one on my new shotgun. I have 2 jpoints for my remington 1100 and 3 jpoints for my open glock. When I break one I put another one on. I have two jpoints set up for major and one jpoint set up for minor. Welcome to open class you need a lot of gear and it gets expensive.

I looked at your slide and it looks like it's been cut already so I don't know if there is enough meat to cut it again for a doctor.

You could always go to a frame mounted cmore.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm avoiding frame mounted based on our convo on sight preference (r'member that) I really like the index of a slide mounted sight and I'll be running my 1911's in IDPA and USPSA occasionally in SSD.

I'd like to order another JPoint for back up. I like that I don't have to worry about zeroing them out every time.

I hear you about the gear, cheap and Open don't mix. :mamoru: You gotta pay to play.

11. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I can't stand how open guns look, but you are cool so :bigthumb:

12. texchef

texchef Guest

:eek3:.....:eek4:.......:squint:

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

So you're making major PF out of a standard 9mm Luger or 9x19 sized cartridge? Is that in a special bbl?

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

the day is won

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

and i've never heard of .355

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

yup, 9 major. 9x19 going 1400 fps. The powder is really close to the brim of the case. I can only shoot CMJ (Complete metal jackets) Shoots flat as fuck. As soon as the laser hits brown it's on.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, I know what you mean. They are ugly looking, nothing like a nice 2011 in Limited (which is next on my list) or a plain old 1911.

But it's all about go, pure race. It's the epitome of run and gun. Fuck winning my division, I'm trying to get high overall.

time to spank on some old timers. :mamoru:

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Shooting open will really improve your overall pistol shooting. It will really teach you about grip pressure and the effect on felt recoil. It will teach your eyes to see things the gun is doing that you don't see with iron sights. After a year shooting open you will notice that a whole bunch of it translates to iron sights. You figure out those missing pieces of type one, two and three target focus.

19. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

nice gun old man :)

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

:rofl:

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

That's pretty fast, and a lot of powder. With that, I'm assuming that it's also pretty high pressure too. Do you have to have any special equipment? I'm assuming springs, but what about barrel? I'd guess that it's 9mm +p+ spec or higher which would put it over what is it, like 46000 psi? That's high for a pistol.

Any worry about frame cracks or blowing your pistol up? I'm guessing shooting those rounds in a regular box stock 9mm is either not possible, or dangerous. Just curious, how fast does .38 super go at what weight?

22. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

You would have if SIG had used the actual diameter of their 357SIG instead of trying to catch the mystique of the .357MAG.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Some defensive ammo makes 9 mjor velocities. For example Corbon 124 +P doing 1350fps will make major. It's not just how fast the ammo is going, it the type of power. You need a slow buring powder that generates a lot of gas to power the comp.

So if your pistol is rated for +P ammo you probably could shoot major 9 though it. For example Glocks shoot major 9 ammo just fine if loaded to factory lenghts.

Here is the other thing. The major 9 ammo for the sti/svi open guns are loaded real long. Longer than factory lenght because for the most part they are using 38 super magazines with a spacer. The longer ammo gives you more space for powder and you have more flexability with powder slection.

Glock shooting 9 major are more limited because they need to be close to factory lenght to fit in a real 9mm magazine.

24. AB13

AB13 New Member

spot on, except the advantage with SV mags is I don't need spacers 1.2 oal fits fine with 9mm.

As for barrel comp, I have a ported Shuemann Ultimatch Bull barrell ported (popple), with a Bedell Titanium 7 port comp.