early BMW owners, need help with heating system

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JAFAR, Nov 9, 2005.

1. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

This is an E28 M5.

No matter what I do, I can't get any heat to come out of the air ducts, regardless of the settings that I turn the heat/AC controls to. A/C works fine, and cools like a mofo, fan works great, but makes a little noise on I and II.

I've only had to use the heat one time before, and that was about a month ago. Since then I've drained the coolant enough to get to the timing tensioner for my Cam gear install. Refilled that back up.

It's winter here and I'm freezing my ass off. So I need your help to figure this out. The only thing keeping me warm is the seat heaters.... [​IMG]

I havent smelled any antifreeze lately or noticed anything abnormal, other than the fact that I don't have any heat. Occasionally I might get some heat coming in from the engine compartment, but with the knob all the way to 87, it should be blowing some seriously hot air, not lukewarm temperature.

My coolant level has been consistent, with almost no visible drop in coolant, so the heater core can't be leaking...[​IMG]

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I'm only guessing but you might have a valve in line with a hose that goes to the heater core. That might not be working.

3. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Buy a Mercedes?

4. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I should have updated this thread. I fixed the problem. A t-stat that wasn't opening all the way and a bad heater valve were the culprits.

5. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

ah ha did I win a cookie