Earl Scheib paint job?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Wizard of Poz, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I was wondeirng if anyone had an Earl Scheib paint job on their vehicle before? I know they arent the best quality but im looking for the bang of the buck with a relatively lower price if possible. About $800 is the max im willing to pay but if a better paint job isnt too much more ill dish it out.

So has anyone had experience with Earl Scheib? Im sure they won't prep it as well but I can easily do that myself. Are they usually on par with MACCO or usually better?

I am hoping to paint my vehicle two tone with black on top and grey on the bottom and I will be having the motor pulled soon but I wont be able to professionally paint it so I plan on using spray paint. What color do you guys think would look good for the engine bay? Black since it will match the top if I do get it painted?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't know anything about Earl Scheib... never heard of it. Maaco is absolute crap, I can do a better job rattlecanning it, did it on some door jambs of my car, looks almost perfect.

You will not find a quality paint job for anywhere NEAR $800, especially if you want the engine bay painted. You're looking at at least $2K for a good job on the whole car.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree. $2000 is the minimum for a quality repaint. Earl Scribes is not known for quality, long lasting paint jobs and neither is Maaco.

If you are willing to completely strip the car down, remove all the lights, trim, etc and are also willing to wetsand, cut and buff the paint afterward, it might turn out okay....except they don't use quality paint.

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

sorry to let you know but $800 will get you a bumper, hood and maybe a door painted, at least if you want quality work done. Haven't heard of who you're using but Maaco is a definate Nono. I know a guy that took his car there and they painted the mirrors as well, the actual mirror.

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

if i were you, find someone you know who maybe works at a body shop...i was in the position to get my old truck repainted at maaco, but didnt want to waste the money for crap. so i knew quite a bit on bodywork and priming after i did some work on some metal on my truch, i bought a spray gun and some flat black paint and did my hole truck in it....ive heard from some people though, that if you prep and mask your car yourself, that maaco actually will spray it pretty well, and even try to do a good job, seeing that you put alot into it