GUN Ear plugs at the range?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Has anyone found any type of ear plugs that work well enough to use at the range? I'm talking as opposed to an ear muff headset type thing. I don't like big, bulky muffs clinging to the sides of my head. :hsugh:

2. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

I haven't found ear plugs that provided enough sound protection. In fact i usually wear ear plugs with earmuffs over them. You can never be too cautious when it comes to ear protection.

3. I like the regular yellow foam cylinder ones, the disposables. I just tried some other disposables, that were shaped, with a tapered cone, I didnt like them.

[​IMG]

these are the ones I have.. they work good.

and these are the ones I didnt like..

[​IMG]

4. i hate muffs, i cant get a good cheek weld.. even if im shooting pistol, i shoot weaver stance, and the muffs get in the way of my shoulder

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Just inexpensive foam ear plugs.
    In fact, I have that exact box pictured above. They work just fine.

The indoor range I've been to require muffs, but outdoor its plugs for me. Ear muffs also get in the way of a good cheek weld on a rifles...doesn't matter to me as all of my military style weapons get spray-fired from the hip anyway. ;)

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Wear both, for your ears. I wear plugs only, and I'm half deaf. Some of it is from shooting, some from concerts (playing and attending), and some from driving with the windows down all the time. You should wear both plugs and muffs. The plugs stop sound through the ear canal, but muffs provide protection that plugs can't, and that's against the sound that travels through the bone behind your ears. That sound can still damage your hearing if you shoot a decent amount.

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

just stick 9mm rounds in your ear

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Then again, we could lobby to have supressors de-regulated and de-vilified a bit.
    Wouldn't that be nice to not have to risk your hearing every time you go to the range?
    Sadly, this is America...land of the free.
    Where your freedoms cost you $200 for a tax stamp.

9. :werd:

fucking gayness

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

BUT it is for the CHILDREN

11. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i used some cheap blue baffled earplugs with orange cords from walmart. like 2 dollars and work just as well as regular ear protection. i love em!

12. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Shoot outdoors? I am one of those 1/2 deaf people too, and indoors I think you should wear both plugs and muffs.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I don't see why people don't atleast own a set of decent ear muffs, Peltor Ultimate 10s are some of the highest rated on the market at nrr 29db and are less than $20.

14. soccaian

soccaian New Member

hell, even the Silencio Original muffs are only like $8 and they work great.

15. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Yeah I have a set of those but the peltors have a noticeable improvement when it comes to killing noise and are a HUGE improvement in comfort; the cups are much softer and they just all-around fit better :dunno:

16. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I just use the tapered plugs. But im at an outdoor range most of the time. If i go indoors ill probably wear ear-muffs.

17. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I've never found a problem with the foam plugs at the range. Mine seemed to work just as good as muffs.

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

i always use the ones you dont like. If i'm skeet shooting, I'll wear them with a pair of earmuffs, if i'm shooting anything else i'll just use them w/o the muffs

19. We carry both those where I work, I just grab a handful every now and then and throw them in my range bag. They work well for me. (I always shoot outdoors) When I first started shooting I wore muffs but cant stand them getting in the way.

20. CletusJones

CletusJones 329 N. Dearborn

I usually just wear plugs. I've got a conch piercing in my left ear so muffs tend to be a little unfomfortable for me.

21. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I use these ...

[​IMG]

They are a poly/rubber earplug filled with silicone. Have used them since the military.

I have a box of the classic yellow foam ones that I keep on hand for friends when they go shoot with me or for motorcycle riding.

22. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I have a set of ear muffs, but I prefer the plugs, I hate having the pressure on my head.

I just have a box of cheap soft plugs, and always have extras for friends or shooters who come unprepared. I know what it is like to forget th emuffs and have no fall back and have to drive a half hour back home, so I always try to be there for my gun community.

23. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I just use the classics. They work fine for me.

24. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Do you feel less "aware" when riding with ear plugs in?
    I tried it a couple times, but not being able to hear everything (its bad enough with the helmet on) kinda scared me.
    I'm a fairly paranoid rider though.

25. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I ride around town without plugs, but on longer rides or highway ... I always wear plugs to cut down the wind noise. Even with a nice Shoei on I can't stand all that noise. I find that it just muffles everything enough, but I've never been "surprised" by a car that I didn't hear coming.