E60 M5

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by someguy, Apr 8, 2003.

1. someguy

someguy WWMD?

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

I suppose the most important thing to remember about the new M5, or the new 5-Series in general, is that even if it does look bad, if you're driving it your're not looking at the outside of it (normally).

I'm not convined on how well it will sound, V10s such as in the Dodge Viper arent the most exciting in terms of engine note. Just have to wait and see.

Sidenote: Is it just me or is the new layout/colour scheme really awkward to use?

3. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Personally I dont think theres many cars today that will attract classic status in the future. The new M5 being one of them. With the 500bhp+ V10 it should be hugely impressive, and its unlikely that BMW will make any mistakes in the handling and ride department.
    But something about the very idea of it gives me a cold, clinical feeling. Prehaps its the use of a V10 in a super-saloon, when everyone else has V8s I cant really explain it. Its the same idea that means I've never liked the McLaren F1, but loved the Ferrari F40.

My comment about the styling before was only semi-serious, but as someone who drives a Bugeye Impreza I'm not hugely concerned by beautiful design:big grin: And most certainly people will buy the new M5, but I'm not sure how many will ever be 100% happy with its looks. Where as the E39 is flawless.

And as for the Ferrari 250 SWB, I must admit it is one of my favourites also. Saw one at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 1999 and its one of those cars that is perfect. Even at an event like that its something special.

4. MP525i

MP525i Guest

Side Note

Awesome E34. It's on the right. OH and the new M roadster looks good too. ;) well...not really. (not a fan of the Z4).
    [​IMG]