E46 M3's?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by [dRu], Aug 27, 2009.

1. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I'm thinking about picking one of these up sometime in the future, and I was wondering what I should look out for :o (or if I should even be considering one).

Thanks in advance :cool:

2. nyuaznguy

nyuaznguy Member

avoid the SMG transmission, and there was a batch of engines from 11/01 builds that had out of spec bearings. Should have been fixed by now, but make sure its been a part of the TSB if its older than 2003, otherwise you're good to go.

3. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

Do you know if the E46 M3's also fall into the category of 3-series that have that subframe issue?

4. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

all e46 fall into this category

5. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 New Member

As stated, yes. I got rid of my E46 a few years back but just got the sub-frame class-action form a few weeks back.
    SMG isn't that bad, the main thing I'd make sure to avoid is the early model years with the engine issues.

6. ///M

///M New Member

Other than that, make sure to keep up on maintenance :dunno:

7. nyuaznguy

nyuaznguy Member

Yes I know, I used to have one. but unless you're tracking it ALOT or live where there are really shitty roads it should be fine. Personally I never saw one with a ripped subframe, so i assumed it was one of those things blown out of proportion. But with BMW warrantying it, that would mean you're probably fine if you get a later build.

I mean there are tons of little issues if you treat the car like crap, the glue on the window liner sucks and can come off if you park it out in the sun too much. Also the transmission/diff has clunky noises. And the shifter itself is very notchy when cold and long noodly throws. Plus the rasp sucks.

But for the money it really does everything well. Sporty and luxury and with lots of cargo room and you can seat 5 in a pinch.

8. thefuckon

thefuckon New Member

All SMG's have problems with the pump and it's a $2,000-2,500 repair.

9. ///M

///M New Member

Your $ could go a lot further if you were looking at an E36 (obviously, because they're older), but typically everything costs about 50% less to fix compared to an E46.

Someone local just bought a 97 Estoril/Black M3 with 34k miles for $16.5k, it's in amazing condition.

10. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

If you are willing to travel to pick one up you can probably find a good deal. The going rates vary like crazy on these cars. Also, regardless of how good it looks, get a PPI done at a BMW stealership. It will be worth it.

11. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I've been noticing that nobody is loving the SMG :o. I was wondering why those have been going for so cheap :hsd:

12. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

I just got one and LOVE it. Titanium Silver with Imola interior :drool: I choose the 6speed because Id rather do the shifting myself. I wouldnt get an smg if I had the chance, but the market is flooded with them.

btw any e46 m3 owners have a service manual I can download?

13. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

Some people like it, some people don't. I test drove both and preferred the 6speed so thats what I got.

14. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Get a 2003.5 or later 6-speed manual. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it!

15. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I have a 01 Six speed cabrio. I have had no issue with my car. The tires last about 10K in the rear even with my highway commute. They have had subframe issues and then the bearing motor issue but I'm almost at 75K miles and I have 0 issues.