E46 330ci maintenance Q

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ignited, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

So I have my eyes set on a 330ci with 60k miles on it in very good condition. What kind of maintenance is scheduled for these cars at this mileage range 50-80k?

2. whitesox

whitesox New Member

3. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

My nigga:h5:

4. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Anyone know if BMW will tell you what service has been done to a car based on the VIN? Good move or am I being overly anal? Someone told me that they will need the key to run the records....this BS true?

5. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

They don't need the key. If the service advisor likes you, he can punch the VIN into his system and determine what warranty repairs and services were performed. Unless the vehicle was serviced at his dealership he cannot tell you what customer pay repairs and services were done.

Edit: The advisor (as far as I know) is not required to disclose previous warranty/maintenance records, and some dealerships will refuse to do so for privacy reasons.

6. Bryan

Bryan OT Supporter

50-80k ?

Window regulators
    Door/headliner trim piece (or some good glue)
    if the interior plastic panels are the coated kind then they are likely chipping and flaking away.
    Guibo is probably crusty and due to be replaced.
    Control arm bushings are probably bad or on their way out.

Some of the regular maintenance items just creep up on you but 80-100k you run the risk of just having a shit storm explode under the hood.

water pump, coolant reservoir, control arms, o2 sensors, gummed up injectors, fouled or plugged oil seperator, window regulators or that piece of shit version of the sunroof "trailer" that bakes and falls apart under heat from the sun over time.

7. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I went to the local BMW and the girl at the counter refused to run the vin because of said "privacy" reasons. She also mentioned the dumb key thing for the maintenance that car currently needs based on the ecu readout.
    Is there anyway to check this shit? The guy at the dealer wont let me borrow the key for the bmw dealership to run their scan.

8. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Yeah car has 60k miles and is an 01. I wanted to see how well its been kept as far as traceable records go for maintenance. This will give me some insight as to what to check on the car to add to the reconditioning figure.
    As you mentioned the headliner piece that runs along the door has come a bit loose and a little glue will fix that no problem.
    There is a whining noise coming from the left side of the engine bay at star up. This noise goes away after a quick drive. I'm guessing it could be a pulley or belt maybe. I've yet to put the car up on a lift to check the subframe etc.

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Try another dealer. If they won'tt do it, you're out of luck.

Remember- you're asking BMW to disclose proprietary warranty information as a favor. Beyond that, you still won't know what CP work was done.
    Replacing the door seal is pretty easy and glue probably won't fix it.
    Power steering pump. Check the fluid level and condition.

10. Cicada

Cicada OT Supporter

Inspection II

11. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I ran into another 330ci but theres 2 things that have me abit troubled with this car.

1. The sunroof cover(sun shade?) seems to be coming off the railings and will sometimes keep the runroof from working since it jams it up. I read that it might be the clips? Easy to fix/cheap?

2. I took the car out for a test drive and had the drivers side window down to listen to the motor and suspension etc. I decide to raise the window and It will go almost all the way up(closed) and then come back down about two inches. The window doesnt drop, its a motorized action downward at the same speed the window goes up. I held the button to close the window and it keep doing this for 15 secs or so. I let go of the button and tried again, it did it twice and then close completely. Is this in anyway common?
    The carfax says that the car had its chasis electrical system checked, possible electrical problem car?

Any tips, hint, knowhow would be great. Thanks for the help guys.

12. Virality

Virality New Member

Sounds like the pinch protection was acting up

13. whitesox

whitesox New Member

Yeah it's the clips/guides. Happens to nearly every e46 with a sunroof. I had the dealer fix mine once when it was under warrenty, but it just broke AGAIN. The dealer charges a rediculous amount and I talked to a BMW tech who told me to not even bring it in and DIY.

14. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Yeah it was something like that, I'm just worried that the car has an electrical problem that might be plaguing the car. I'm still waiting on my activation for the e46 forums so i can ask there, but is this a common thing at all? All I found was issues with the window regulator breaking.

15. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Yeah the guy told me the parts to replace are cheap, i'm guessing the labor is somewhat of a pain? BTW i'm no car newb, I can do the work myself. I just want to know so i can use that to argue the price.

16. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

That's if the subnroof slider isn't broken. If it's the old style slider and it's damaged you have to remove the sunroof mechanism (headliner, glass, frame, etc.).

If it is just the clips it is an easy/cheap fix.

17. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

The sunroof did work so its not the actual slider/track, its he sunshade which is loose. I just read the DIY and it seems easy so thats not that big of a deal. Now the electrical thing has me a bit troubled.

18. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

The sunroof slider has a piece that sticks out in order to move the shade forward and back as the sunroof opens. It's a little metal tang with a rubber cover, and it bumps against small projections on the drivers side of the sunshade. In old-style sunroofs the rubber on the tang rides up over the sunshade pieces and self destructs, bending the tang. You can engineer a fix, but much of the time you end up pulling the sunroof and replacing the slider mechanism. Right when I quit BMW they introduced an updated part.

19. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I remember reading something about that, i'll keep that in mind.
    Any thoughts on the window issue?
    Also, if I wanted to purchase a door handle. Does BMW sell them painted or are they primer for you to paint? The drivers side door handle has some light chipping of the paint that would annoy me since the rest of the paint is near perfect condition.

20. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

The window issue is probably the regulator, which is the scissor/motor assembly that pushes the window up.

The problem is that they tweak over time, so instead of going straight up, they twist outward as well. This isn't how they're supposed to move, so obviously there's signfigant resistance, which triggers the pinch sensor, and stops the window.

You have to replace the entire regulator assembly to fix it... dunno about that car, but on the E36 they pop-riveted them in place, so you have to drill those out, and install with nut/bolt.

21. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Primered, as I recall.
    Agree, but on the E46 it's a bolt in so it's much easier.

It's actually pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined. Pop the door panel, unbolt the glass from the regulator, slide it up and jam a plastic wedge in between it and the door to hold it up, unbolt the regulator and pull it out, swap the motor, reverse the procedure to reinstall. The door panel (IIRC) has three bolts in it- two in the armrest and one behind the airbag decal. After that it's secured by plastic pins and a retainer on the door itself. Once the door panel is off the rest of the job is self-explanatory.

22. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

I might end up going back up and taking another look at it paying speical attention to the sunroof and window problem a bit more.
    I'll also have a pic of the door handle which seemed to be screwed with when I saw it. It was dark so i couldnt really get a good look at it, but it seemed like the key hole was messed up.

23. Bryan

Bryan OT Supporter

That sunroof slider repair kit is an afternoon in itself.

Took me around 7 hours total the first time to get the job done, I'd imagine it would take an hour or two if the slide driver ever fails again.

24. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

My GF's a pro at the sunroof fix, I think she charges like 3 or 4 hrs @ 50/hr to do it (install a whole new cassette, the dealership sells a "sunroof fix kit"

25. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

My 330ci has 101K miles on it ('01). I've had to fix the hazard button when it got stuck (easy fix), two coils that went out (easy fix) and the cam position sensor when it went out (easy fix).