E36 Reliability and Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by WiKiD, Apr 27, 2005.

1. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I have found out that if i save enough money over the summer i could sell my SRT-4 and buy an E36 M3. My only concern is this. I drive my own car for a living. Door to door probably about 50-75 miles at the most. I am just wondering if there would be any reliability concerns with these cars. Also i would like to know aht kind of gas mileage they get in the real world.

2. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

In my experience the mileage varies anywhere from 15-22 mpg depending upon the driving conditions. With the current uber-aggressive differential I am running my mileage is substantially less, but with the stock 3.23 you should be fine. :)

There are a few reliability concerns, but they are too amny to list. A search on http://www.bimmerforums.com will yield the most common problems.

3. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I get about 23 mpg with mostly highway driving. I got about 24 when I lived in Seattle where people drive slower.

The car has 142k on it. I've done all the maintenance as suggested by the car's computer. I replaced the brakes at about 120k and the clutchat 135. Tires about once a year. Also had to replace the passenger seat airbag sensor. All in all its been a great car with no problems.

4. SinisterHand

SinisterHand Active Member

I get about 19 city and about 25 highway. Maintenance has just been the standard stuff, no major issues.