E36 M3 Crew, Sign In.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Gixxer, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Gixxer

Gixxer OT Supporter

:wavey:

School me on some good upgrades guys?

Just got a 97 m3 coupe a few days ago. I really like the dinan intake :dunno:

2. Gixxer

Gixxer OT Supporter

No love :(

3. I used to have one. Here's my take on mods:

The OBDII cars don't really benefit much from the AA trackpipe, so don't waste your money on that.

Cold air intakes are totally worthless, but they do make a nice sound.

The biggest problem on the OBDII cars is the intake manifold, they're decent at making torque, but they strangle the engine at higher RPMs. You can swap to the 95 style intake and you'll notice a lot more power between 5500 and 6500 RPM. In addition to that you can get the shark software upgrade for a little more power.

Aftermarket mufflers do sound nice, but they're not worth much, if any, power. I remember a magazine test, they ran all the aftermarket mufflers against the stock muffler. The BEST gain they got was 4 RWHP, and that's within the dyno's margin of error. I feel it's not worth it for the $850+

Cams are a decent upgrade... if you want to spend $2500 (plus labor if you can't do it yourself) and pick up 25 or so RWHP. Again, I had a hard time trying to justify spending that much money to make that little power.

What it comes down to is that if you are sticking with a naturally aspirated engine, all the upgrades that actually make a difference will put you in the 300-310 BHP range. That's about 260 RWHP. Your cost for that will be upwards of 6 grand, again, that's only for parts, you have to add labor.

You also have the option of forced induction. Here you're looking at around 6 grand for a basic supercharger kit, giving you around 360 BHP. Active Autowerke sells a level 2 supercharger kit for 8 grand that will put you up to 418 BHP. Their turbo kits start at 9 grand, and go up from there, and give you around 380BHP for the base kit.

What it really comes down to is that BMW built these engines really well. There's not much to be gained if you stay NA, and you'll spend a lot of money to do it. Forced induction is the only way to make a lot of power with these motors, and it'll cost you a lot too. My own advice is to spend money on the suspension, tires, and brakes. Unless all you want to do is show off to your friends the money spent on suspension, tires, and brakes will be money better spent. Go to a few track schools, hit an autocross or two, you'll find that you have more power than you need already, unless you can drive like Michael Schumacher.

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

97 Boston Green here.

It totally depends on what you are looking to get out of the car. Mine has been my track/dd car, at some point later this year it'll become strictly a weekend/track car. You can choose to bring it up to "new" like condition, that'll be shit load of work in itself. cooling system, power steering, suspension bushings, etc... Or you can just start moding for power. The decision is yours :) I'm too lazy to list all of my mods but the list includes UUC exhaust, AFE intake, Koni SAs, UUC SSk etc...

P.S. Dinan is nice, but you can get just as nice after market products for half the price.

5. .

6. Tvan

Tvan New Member

wish i was in this crew crew signing in

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

600whp m3 build going on here.

8. carfanattic

carfanattic Slippin' & Slidin'

Had one until a year ago. A 1996 Red. Wish I still had it by the tranny started giving problems. Only mod I got was a Dinan Free Flow Exhaust (ran about $1000 at the time)...I noticed slightly better performance, but the sound was sweet! If you're looking for a good exhaust, I definitely suggest it.

9. Binzes

Binzes New Member

I have a 99 m3.

What do you want to know?

10. Binzes

Binzes New Member

Oh... Dinan is WAAAYYY overrated. The only reason I would ever buy one of thire products is if I had a warranty that I wanted to maintain, or if I had to have CARB certified products.

They cost way too much for the amount of gains they give.

11. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

UUC ownz j0, that is all.

12. Patrick33

Patrick33 New Member

98 Hellrot here.

13. Binzes

Binzes New Member

uuc tse > *

14. Blair

Blair New Member

15. ChronoJ1