e36 m3 crew: I call upon your knowledge base...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by psykosis, Jul 9, 2007.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me why I should or should not trade in my 01 Integra GSR on this. This would be a daily driver that would see about 6 months of winter use per year. I normally ride solo. Maintainence/repairs scare me on the M3. It has 138k miles. My GSR is problem free, has 101k on it, but I've always wanted an M3. What kind of extra costs should I expect w/ the M3?

2. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

a lot of extra costs...but thats expected with most any "sports car" over 100k miles.

i dont understand what you mean about 6 months of winter use.....why would you buy a daily driver RWD "sports car" for 6 months of winter use.

Nice color combo tho :bigtumb:

3. psykosis

because I don't want multiple cars. If it was an exotic, it would be different. BUt snow tires and decent driving skills will carry me through all but the biggest snowstorms here, at which point i would just not go to work.

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Well I've owned both, so I think I could tell you anything you want to know. I've had a 95 GSR for a few years, and been in the BMW family for about 4 years now as well. I have a 97 M3. The M3 will be much less reliable, no questions asked. The millage on that M3 is pretty high, not sure I would jump on it. My 97 only has 97k right now. I can't tell you exactly what needs to be done on the M3 until you tell me what has been done. Typically by that time you've had all cooling items replaced, shocks, rear shock mounts, trailing arm bushing, lower control arm bushings. The M3 is a different beast than the GSR, I loved the GSR, but I love the M3 by a mile more. I track mine regularly, so I get all the enjoyment out of mine. Also driving in snow is now that bad, I've been driving BMWs on Dunlop winter sport M3s for years now is now without a problem. The M3 also has and LSD, which helps some in snow.

Oh, if you don't intend to do most of the work on the car yourself, don't even consider this purchase.

5. NYM3

with all that said.

The GSR doesnt compare to the M3 in anyway :bigthumb:

to me...its worth the extra few grand the M might cost you in MMMaintenance :mamoru:

EDIT: just drive and see if it feels like a solid car. If it does, then it probably is. Its not too hard to tell which cars have been abused if you know anything about cars.

6. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

I have had zero problems with my '98 M3/4, but I bought it last October with 68k miles, one owner, meticulous maintanence.

That looks like it is on a shitty used car lot. Wait until you can afford a better example and stick with the GSR.

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Mostly, QFT, but I modded the last line to match my prejudices. Other than that one word, dead on.

8. FnBastard

FnBastard New Member

I use to have a 95 M3, purchased it new and had it for 6 years. Great car, very reliable, a little down in power thou and the maintainance costs are very high. Unless your planning to maintain it your self, I would avoid a high mileage example. Personally, I would look into the E30 M3. The US version e36 M3 is just a tuned version of a standard 325is so its not that special in my opinion when compared to the euro version or the E30 M3.

9. NYM3

while I agree that the e30 m3 is a much better car :mamoru:

i would not recommend it to anyone that wants a daily driver....especially in the winter :nono:

10. ChosenGSR

Define better? The US e36 M3 will be faster around any given course. The e36 has a superior suspension design. It'll be more luxurious, as well as a hell of a lot more comfortable. Did I mention that the e36 will also be cheaper?

The only thing the US e36 M3 is not is RARE. If you can live with that, you're getting one of the best bang for the buck all around vehicles out there.

11. psykosis

I think I might do a couple things to my GSR, and then sell it myself instead of trading it in. If I am going to get 8k from the dealership, I can ask 10-11k for it privately. Then I can be a bit more picky about the M3 I get. I'd like to take a look at this car though, but it's a 5-6 hour drive away (each way)...

12. ChosenGSR

I think you can pass on this one. Coupes are fairly easy to come across locally. It took me about a month to find one that I really liked.

13. psykosis

hmmm. I just have that itch, ya know?

14. ChosenGSR

The first M3 i looked at was in what appeared to be immaculate condition. I am glad I had a mechanic (who happens to be my father) with me at the time as he looked under the carpeting in the trunk and saw bent sheet metal where the car was clearly hit from the rear. The owner played stupid like he had no idea what we were talking about. Few weeks later I picked up a boston green with less miles for cheaper from a BMW CCA member who had all paper work on the vehicle performed since he got it with 50k on the odo.

Patience pays off :dunno:

15. NYM3

Rarity has nothing to do with why the e30 is better.

An automatic audi A6 is faster than an e30 m3....luxury and comfort aren't things i look for in a "drivers car" :mamoru:

Yes the e36 M(arketing)3 is a better "car" ...but its not the better M3 :nono:

16. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Yeah, it is, when the TS is looking for a daily driver.

The E30 is a better track car, but for everyday hauling ass go with an E36.

17. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

In this thread I will ask for your advice, then totally ignore it...

I loved my E36 M3, but would be concerend about getting one with those miles.

18. ChosenGSR

You're and idiot. I'm glad you defined for the world what "drivers car" means. Obviously you know what the ultimate driving machine is better than BMW themselves.

19. ChosenGSR

Define better and please show numbers. I can point you to the most senior local CCA instructor who's son is now racing in SCCA, he switched from the e30 M3 which he still owns to a S52 based track car and he's turning quicker track times.

20. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I don't have track times.

I worked at a dealership and watched CCA members flog stock, prepped, and full race cars around the track and through autocrosses.

The E30's generally turned in faster lap times, and it always looked to me like the E30 guys weren't working as hard as the E36 guys.

But the E36 guys drove their cars all the time and the E30 guys didn't. It just seems like the average joe gets better performance out of an E30 and more joy out of an E36.

Which is why I recommended an E36 to the TS.

Although if you want to get angry and start demanding a google challenge because I only share half your opinion, I'm going to have to decline.

Feel free to call this one a win, and look for someone else to e-dominate.

21. NYM3

Not worth the battle.

Just read any article that compares the generations of M3's.

Drivers cars aren't about numbers or lap times. And yes...i do seem to know that better than BMW does right now. :hsd:

22. ChosenGSR

I've been in the local CCA circle for the last two years, currently running intermediate level HPDEs. My experience is at Virginia International Raceway (3 schools) and Summit Point WV, all 3 tracks. The e36 is a much better track car, the suspension design is superior and I guarantee it turns better lap times than the e30 M3. Lets face it, I love the e30 M3 to death just as much as any BMW sack rider, but to say that it is faster around any given track is simply untrue.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  23. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I already told you to look for an argument elsewhere.

Your empirical results are clearly superior to my empirical results.

I concede that you have e-dominated me with your superior knowledge and aggressive typing, so now go home and hate fuck your boyfriend to celebrate your victory.

24. ChosenGSR

come to papa :buttsex:

25. psykosis

I'm passing on this one. I'm going to have my Integra resprayed, and fix the 2-3 things that need fixing (due for a timing belt, tint needs to be redone, I'm sure there's something else). Then I'll sell it to some ricer for 10-12k, and I be able to pick from private and dealer stock. I think I'll get a better car this way, and it gives me some time to research the car more, and maybe get some seat time behind the wheel...