E34 5-series.....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mzmtg, Jul 13, 2003.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Discuss...

There's one for sale here that caught my eye. It's a 1990 525i with manual trans and 140,000 miles. Light blue with blue leather. From what I could see, it's in very good shape for a 13 year old car. Some scratches and chips outside, but no stains or tears inside.

What should I look for/ ask about it?

They want $6900, but edmunds.com said it was worth $5900.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Wow, you guys are no help...

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

:rofl:

Seriously though, that's a ton of mileage for a BMW. You will not enjoy the maintenance costs. But if you can afford those then it sounds pretty good.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I drove it today.

At the least it needs a new clutch and throwout bearing. It made grinding noises whenever the clutch was disengaged. Oh yeah, shocks were dead too.

Overall, a VERY nice car for being 13 years old. The engine was very smooth with no funny noises or smells. The trans shifted smoothly and there were no noises or grinding from the brakes or rear end.

But, even with a new clutch it would not be the car for me. It was TOO SLOW. 168hp is just not enough juice to move that size car around very well. There was very little low end power (this may have been a perception issue related to the clutch).

I'm just used to the low end grunt of the VQ...

I need to find an E34 with an M50 and give that a try.

5. MP525i

MP525i Guest

I made the same mistake.. I had a 525i M50. Opt for a 535i or a 530/540i. I did all I could to that engine except a supercharger and crackin' the head for some upgraded cams. I think if I did that the 2.5L would have been fast.... but that's the whole idea. If you're gonna mod a car start with something good. a 535i has around 215hp I THINK!! That would be a great platform to do some mods. I'm thinking a 530i or a 540i would be too expensive. But definetly check into a 535i if you're gonna go with a E34. Here is what mine look liked before I got my M3. :big grin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Mike