E-Readers? worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Danger, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Danger

Danger That's 5 Mother Fucker!

I'm looking into possibly getting one of these, as i'm going to sea for months soon, and i need to take a shitload of reading material away with me.

Just wanted to see if any OTers had had any first hand experience with these things? What's it like to use? What's the availabilty like for new releases/older titles?

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook

[​IMG]

2. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I personally don't see the point of having one of these when I can just have a computer or laptop where I can read books and also do so much more. Then again I'm not going to sea...
    But if your going to be able to charge this then you'll be able to charge a laptop.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

eBook readers are getting better every day, but honestly, the software that runs them just isn't "there" yet. The new ones use screens that only use electricity when they have to turn pixels on or off; no power is used to maintain the image when it isn't moving, unlike with normal LCD screens, so they can run for weeks between charges. But the only ones that are really usable are also highly-proprietary, so you can't just load anything you want on them without bending over backwards to do it, and the ones that aren't proprietary have trouble reading multiple document formats without screwing up.

Amazon.com sells the Kindle, which has the ability to download books using the cellphone network with no data-delivery charge (though the books still cost money, of course); it's also popular because it's thick and easy to hold like a real book. However, the download function probably won't be of much use to you when you're out in the middle of the ocean, where the phone companies keep forgetting to install cell towers.

That Sony one is nice because it isn't tied to a single vendor, but it requires special software to convert other types of documents into Sony's special file format, which I think is bullshit -- all eBook readers should be able to read PDFs without needing a computer to convert them first.

There was one I had my eye on for a while, made by ECTACO and sold on Newegg.com. I really liked it (in theory) because it could read PDFs without converting them first, but as it turns out the PDF software is gimpy and doesn't always work right. Which is a shame, because it seems like virtually everyone who's bought one bought it specifically because it can read PDFs.

4. Danger

I would be taking a laptop as well, the reason i was looking into the eReader, was that the display is easier on the eyes from what i've heard.

5. Danger

Nice one man, thanks for the input. I'll keep my eye on these in the mean time. I knew one of the issues with these readers would be the different file formats they would display and the means of acquiring them.

About the Sony unit, I had a similar experience with a Walkman MP3 player. I had to convert all my music to a Sony compatible format using software provided with it, which you'll agree is B.S.

I'll have a look at the readers you mentioned. :bigthumb:

6. nucklearknight

I have no idea why your going to sea but if your going on a cruise, a lot of the time you can still use your cell phone because the cruise shit hase a built in cell tower of it's own. My girlfriend was on a cruise last summer and she could use her cell phone on the ship.

7. Danger

Work.

I'm an Engineering Officer in the Merchant Navy. I'll have alot of down time with very little entertainment on board.

My plan is to fill my portable HD with plenty of Movies, TV shows etc. but i do enjoy a good read.

I'll be at sea for 3-4 months at a time.

8. nucklearknight

Wow no internet for 3-4 months. I can hardly imagine.

9. Danger

tell me about it.

At least i'll have a 60-80 hour working week to keep me occupied. And i hear alot of merchant vessels have gyms on board. :hs:

I'll keep telling myself "Just keep thinking about the money" :bigthumb:

10. nucklearknight

Wow 80 hours a week!
    Hella 0's on your bank roll!
    lawl

11. Danger

Yea, and no-where to spend it while at sea!

But i'll be working 3 months on 1 month off, so i'll find time to spend it :bigthumb:

12. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

I'd buy the sony one. I have one - and like it alot. You can download Caliber and load all the free books you want from sites like isohunt. Kindle is much harder to do that with. In your situation, I'd say it's worth it. Buy the PRS-505.

13. Danger

Nice one, cheers brah.

What's the selection like for books old & new?

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Wait, so there's software to crack the proprietary shit on the Sony?

15. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Depends. If you mean....take an e-book with DRM you paid for from the eBook store and take the rights off it...I've never tried.

If you mean, software to convert and load any other file on to the Sony PRS - then yes. I even told you what it's called. The software looks like it can do alot...but all I use it for is managing, converting, and uploading books I get from BitTorrent.