E-mu 0404

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Mar 6, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Is this the best sound card? How much does it go for (lowest price)? Should I also get an amp, or will it drive 27 Ohm headphones just fine?

2. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

The Emu 0404 is by far the best sound card for MUSIC under $600 (along with the 1212m, which has a slightly different flavor). You will not get surround sound, or any EAX from this card, but it will outperform stand alone CD players costing around $1300 for stero.

As far as your headphones, this was designed as a pro level card, so it has dual mono 1/4" outputs, not a single 1/8" stereo output. I'd reccomend getting a headphone amp with RCA inputs, and a pair of 1/4" mono male to RCA cables to hook it up. If not, get two 1/4" mono male to RCA female adapters, a dual RCA to 1/8" stereo male cable, and a female to female 1/8" coupler.

And yes, it'll power your headphones just fine without an amp, but getting an amp will definetly help. what kind of headphones are they?

The cost is $100 shipped almost everywhere. If you're good, you can find 'em for $85 + shipping, or, if you want, I can send you a modded one for $140 shipped.