SRS E-Friends who have died

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JudyVu, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

Have any of you experienced the death of someone you only knew on-line?

Once I did (and have several times), I realized that this is NOT "just the internet". Real bonds get formed.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

While I haven't really known anyone who has died I did play WoW for 3 years and interacted with the same group of 50 or so people for an average of 2-3 hours every day... including actually talking over ventrilo (voice chat client).

I haven't played in six months and I still miss some of them.

On the forums though, I'd have to say no, that is extremely different. In the game environment you all work with each other toward a common, and difficult, goal. You overcome real challenges with each other through teamwork and you experience crushing defeats at the same time, that is the kind of thing that encourages the formation of personal bonds. I have never experienced anything analogous on a forum.

3. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

I've become very close with a number of people on forums (not here) and in chat rooms. I've known three who have died in the last year (one today). It really gets to me. I suppose it's because we use webcams on chat, yoursay videos get posted, but I'm just as close with some that I've only met in forums that are sometimes more social than this one.

Anyway, for those who say, who cares, "it's just the internet", well those people are wrong.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Every once in a while a member of the car foum I go to passes away. Some due to age and bad health, but others due to reckless driving, or just freak accidents. It's always a little emotional, especially if you were just talking to the person in a thread. The last one I remember was actually a guy in his early 20's like myself, died New Years eve out of nowhere. From what I heard, he just dropped dead but had no known medical problems. A lot of local members knew him, but I never met him.

I am usually on my car forum a good 4+ hours a day minimum though, at least 5 days a week. There are several members I talk to regularly on the boards and also PM/e-mail that I feel are my good friends and would like to eventually meet in person.

5. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

I actually did meet a few in person. We had a gathering in San Antonio. Interesting people. Good people. People from the website which lost a member today.

6. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

I wish I had remembered that DIAC is where I should have posted this...

7. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Exactly, forums are just a place to spend time spewing massive amounts of generally useless information onto the internet so we can all feel a bit important and, perhaps, see some comical fully anonymous humor.

8. sad_toaster

sad_toaster New Member

A website can be a touchstone for many people who are, or have become, real-life friends. I agree that it can be "more than just a website". When an iconic, prolific poster dies, it's noticed. The site will never be the same.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Forums like this? yes. Most of the other forums I'm on have a purpose, people post to help others out, etc. Most gun and car forums are this way, at least the few mature ones I've found. OT is about having fun for me, which is why I joined. It looked like a virtual bar fight, and I wanted to come in swinging a chair. That was in 04' though I think...it's gotten a bit stale since then. Or maybe it's just me :mamoru:

10. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

Well, offtopic is probably the coldest forum I have ever participated in. Guess that's why I'm not here very often.

And would explain my hesitation to purchase a premium again...

11. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

^ this
    I drove to Philly a few weeks ago for a reunion with some of my old guildies though. It was really fun, and even when I got there and met them for the first time in person I felt like we were really close.

12. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

this is also a true statement. :mamoru:

13. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

Why is that funny to you?