Dynoed my car today...CAI tested vs Stock airbox

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 127.0.0.1, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I have a 1992 Acura Legend Coupe. LS 5 spd, black/black. I have a cold air intake installed, along with a new muffler, with 18" wheels and koni shocks. Car can be seen at http://g2legend.com pics are in the gallery.

Alright, well I went to the dyno today, mostly to check the difference between the stock airbox and the CAI that I make. The stock air box did NOT have the resonator attached, so the ratings would have been a little bit worse for the stock one.

My CAI peak power is 167.3 @ 4500rpm
    My CAI peak torque is 177.1 @ 5400rpm

Stock airbox peak power is 166.6 @ 4500rpm
    Stock airbox peak torque is 173.2 @ 5300rpm

That is top end. On both sides, the power/torque drop off VERY rapidly after the peaks. Horsepower stays up all the way, but tq is basically dead at redline for type 1s. We have about 70tq at that time. For you type 1 manual people, you need to shift at around 5700 rpm to stay in your max power. I am going to test my car again at the track, with this meathod to see what kind of difference I get.

The LOW end of this, the differences are ASTONISHING. at 3200rpm, the difference is 21.4tq, and 13hp. at 4000rpm the difference is 13tq and 8hp. This makes sense though, because of the VIS.

The stock airbox had some very bad drops on power however. It had a 20tq drop at 3000rpm, and between 3600 and 4000, it goes down again. Horsepower also drops at 3000rpm.

With the CAI. There really isnt a major drop in tq, at 3700, it goes down 3-4tq, and then keeps going up. Horsepower is VERY linear throughout the entire test.

Also, I had the A/F ratio checked, and the CAI did not make the car run rich at all. The two graphed lines for CAI and stock airbox are intertwined throughout the tests.

I am going to get a spreadsheet tomorrow of the differences in each space, but I will try to scan the graph this evening.

I will let you all know very soon, I am going to get a Y pipe made within a few weeks, and will update to say the gains for it.

[​IMG]

CLICK HERE IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE FULL 1100x1500 PIC

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  2. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

3. episime

episime OT Supporter

Thats an awesome car.

4. civicvtec1ps

civicvtec1ps Guest

Very nice. Legend m/t are soo rare.
    Nice ride.

5. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

Dude, you almost have as much power as my moms mini van! Race on!

6. Nice work.

Good job on getting the dyno, nice to read about what real world difference things actually make instead of everyone using the butt dyno.

7. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Nice gains!

That dip in the middle of the powerband in stock trim would have me worried though.....

8. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

Can't wait to see it after the Y pipe.

9. Kyoso

Kyoso New Member

Yeah, the difference being that he has a Legend :bowdown: .

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Thank you all for the replies, I did not even realize it has been replied to, I suppose my email notifications have not been working.

A friend of mine is going to come down this sunday, and we are going to redyno my car with the full stock intake in place. The one from above did not have the resonator in place, so I think that will make an even bigger difference.

The y pipe should be done by the end of january, and we are hoping for a ~10hp/tq gain from it, but we will see how that works out. It will be a 2" stainless stee mandrel bent pipe, laser cut flanges, and TIG welding for the entire thing. We are looking at around ~$200 as far as selling them go.

I currently have a group buy going on for the legend intakes. I am doing $175 for a powder coated, and $200 for ceramic coated intakes. (this is a group buy price only). If anyone would be interested in something like that, email me at [email protected] and I can get you set up to be a part of it.
    Another good thing happened recently. I have spoken with a few online performance parts places, and one of them in particular is going to start selling my intakes on their site, so that will hopefully help out a little bit.

I have also done a major change to my website if you would like to check it out. Some of the projects me and my buddy are starting soon should really help as far as legend performance goes. We are going to attempt to bring some aftermarket support to the legend community, since there is basically none at this particular point. http://g2legend.com is the URL again.

Thanks again for the nice comments, and I will post again when I get the dyno this sunday.

11. Tnelson008

Tnelson008 Guest

nice job on the dyno phillip. phil=rangerjoe

heres my stuff, btw, you can see your car in the background
    heres the pics and video
    [​IMG]
    got on the dyno today, and turned out some good numbers.
    here are the mods:
    Short ram with dryer hose cai adaper(soon to be cai that phil had done)
    No cat, 2.5 piping after the Y
    Bayou stage II for type I

and the numbers
    183.2 Hp
    194.8 Tq

video:
    http://www.alterahosting.com/~bloody/rangerjoe/Hosting/Tnelly/tyler_dyno_vid2.mpg
    [​IMG]