DVI to HDMI cables, any issues with them?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Beason, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

My cable box does not have an HDMI out, but does have a DVI out. I was wanting to connect it along with my DVD player to the HDMI switch on my Onkyo TX-SR604. Would this work? I would use an Optical cable for sound. Is there any problems with changes in resolution or picture quality?

2. DVS SHO 93

DVS SHO 93 machine of hate

I believe DVI and HDMI are the exact same signal. Where the HDMI can also do audio?

3. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I don't think there will be any losses whatsoever... both are digital signals are they not?

4. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

no loss in signal whatsever

if there is a problem, it'll be with the receiver. Certain receivers have a compatiblity problem communicating with other devices when using HDMI switchting...you just have to try it and see

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Thats what I am using only mine goes directly to the tv. No problems for me.

6. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

BTW - are you out of inputs on your TV?

If you still have extra inputs on your TV, always go with the most direct connection.

7. kaygee08

kaygee08 Get me a Jäger Drip, Nurse!!!

Comcast? I use the DVI-HDMI Cable & it works fine.

8. David02

David02 Guest

What?? This would totally defeat the purpose of having a reciever like the 604 that does HDMI switching?

Don't listen to this guy. With the 604, run all your inputs into the reciever, and then from the reciever to the TV all you need is 1 HDMI cable and 1 component cable (if you want sound out of your TV you'll need an audio cable as well ;) ). The 604 will convert all your analog inputs to component and output them to the TV through that cable, and it will switch between whatever DVI/HDMI inputs you have and ouput through that 1 HDMI cable. Super easy.

I've got the 674... it's even more badass because it will convert analog inputs to HDMI. I've got about 6 inputs going into my reciever and only 1 HDMI cable that outputs video to the TV. I spent the extra money on the 674 because my reciever is about 20 feet away from the TV, and the cost of the extra cables made up the difference in the price of the 604 and the 674.