DVI input?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by keone, Aug 21, 2003.

1. keone

keone *****

I'm looking at some LCD monitors, and I was wondering what a DVI input is....

advantages in image quality? worth getting? (since I would have to get a video card with dvi out)

Thanks in advance

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DVI.html

check definition (1).

modern video cards have DVI output jacks to connect to the DVI input jack on an LCD. it's supposed to provide enhanced image quality (i.e. better than VGA).

i have never personally seen an LCD running DVI, but my coworker says it's "the bomb."

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

You video card converts digital information to analog signals to send to a VGA monitor. If you hook up an LCD using a VGA connector, the LCD monitor has to convert that analog signal back to digital since it is a digital display. Some monitors can convert back pretty well, others can't. That's where picture quality is lost. DVI bypasses all that D-to-A and A-to-D conversion and sends a pure digital signal with no chance of quality loss.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've sold a couple of dvi monitors(samsung 191T) and they look nice, but it's not that big of a difference, and you're not likely to see the difference unless you're really looking for it.

5. topher

topher New Member

DVI ownz VGA...HUGE difference between the two especially with decent card and higher contrast ratio in the LCD monitor

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It really depends on the resolution too. Right now, I'm looking at two 15" 1024x768 LCDs. Both are connected to my Radeon 7500 video card. One is DFP (old digital standard that didn't really catch on) fed by the card's DVI output through an adapter. The other panel is fed by the card's VGA output. There honestly isn't much difference. Both are very sharp and the pictures are stable. I think the digital-fed panel has better color accuracy, but that might not have anything to do with the interface.

A couple of days ago I setup a new computer for someone who has also bought a Princeton 17" 1280x1024 panel at Costo with a VGA input. Yeah, cheap panel. But when I actually set it for 1280x1024, it looks like shit. Thin vertical lines (1 pixel wide) were actually grey instead of black. The panel auto adjusted but couldn't cut it. Its probably a cheap A-D converter. A better A-D converter or a DVI input and it probably would have looked great. You get what you pay for.