DVI-I Connector for flat panel display

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Apr 7, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

I have a question. I was reading the ati 9600 series manual and i noticed something about my setup. I have a flat panel monitor, but its set up to run as a regular monitor, according to my displays. On my card, it supports having flat panel display and I guess its different, but it needs to connect through a DVI-I Connector. I have it connected through the VGA plug. Buuuuut the only the DVI-I type connector I can find is a DVI-I-to-VGA adapter, and thats also for regular monitors.

Can somebody help me out with this?

Other side notes: I have a DVI-I port on my card. I do not have any type of plug that goes into it though.

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/Rade9600.pdf the thing about the fpd is on page 9

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2538009 thats the DVI-I-to-VGA adapter thing.

I guess I'm just confused on what I need to buy, like I said, the only thing I can find that plugs into the port is the adapter thing. I was thinking maybe there is a cord with a DVI-I connector at the end? I don't know.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Your flat panel needs a DVI port as well. If your flat panel has DVI, then all you need is a DVI cable.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

no my flat panel doesnt have a dvi port. it just has the vga. what do i do in this case? just buy the dvi adapter and plug my vga cable in there? i mean, even if it did have a dvi port, i still havent seen a dvi cable, all i could find was hte dvi-to-vga adapter.

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Does the ATI card have both DVI and standard VGA plugs? If the video card is equipped with a standard VGA plug, then use that with a standard VGA cable. You'll only need a DVI-to-VGA adapter if the video card is only equipped with DVI plugs.

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

the card has both, but i guess the preferred port for flat panel monitors is the dvi-i port, i guess it has different display charactersitics for FPD's

6. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

DVI is preferred for flat panels, but yours doesn't support it, so you're stuck with standard VGA.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

my flat panel monitor doesnt support DVI, which is preferred for dvi?? that makes no sense

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

If your flat panel had a native DVI connection it would support it, it doesn't so any adapter isn't going to make a difference you'll still just get the same quality image if you put a DVI adapter in place.

Not all flat panels are DVI.

9. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

Your monitor is only capable of putting out an analog signal, not digital.

10. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well thats just plain idiotic.

well the thing is, on the ATI properties, its recognizing my display as a regular monitor. theres four choices. "Monitor, Monitor (for a second one), TV, Flat-Panel Display. and each one has a specific sceme of settings that I cant select unless i have the friggen thing.

11. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Those schemes, other than the one for regular monitor, are useless since your LCD only accepts analog VGA input.

12. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

What kind of LCD do you have?

13. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

HP Pavilion f1703

14. Weiner

Weiner New Member

You monitor only has a VGA output, not DVI, so whatever you are trying to do is pointless.

15. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well then why do they have dvi to vga adapters? you mean to tell me there are cards out there that have only dvi ports???

16. Weiner

Weiner New Member

Wtf?

You mean, DVI - VGA would be for cards with no DVI input, VGA-DVI would be for cars with no VGA input, or people who want to use 2 monitors, and they both use VGA.

17. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The adapter would be useful for your card if you plan to use dual analog monitors. Since you have only one monitor, you use the interface that is appropriate. There are cards that have dual DVI ports for those that use dual DIGITAL monitors. You'd need an adapter if you wanted to use an analog monitor with one of those cards.

The DVI-I interface is a dual purpose port. It can output both a digital and an analog signal. But, there's no conversion going on, it's either digital-digital or analog-analog. The DVI-VGA adapter doesn't convert the digital signal to analog. It simply converts the DVI form factor to the old VGA 15-pin D-sub form factor.

18. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

oh, well....thats gay. jewish HP and there non-dvi port including ways. thanks for saving me 10 bucks

19. damaja

damaja New Member

:rofl:

this thread made me laugh.

20. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

im glad it accomplished something. eeey