DVD to receiver through optical cable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by computerdeals, Aug 8, 2002.

1. I just got my pioneer receiver today but have a problem... I have my dvd player connected to my receiver via optical cable but when I hit 'dvd 5.1 channel' nothing comes out, and on the screen where it says what formats are available, it only says analog. What do I have to do to get the receiver to recognize the digital signal? Thanks.

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

what receiver is it?

go into the menu and turn on optical input :) or see if thers a switch infront somewhere you must turn it on

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Set the optical to receive DVD

4. how?

Ok, well I have a Pioneer VSX-d509s. How do I turn the optical input on? And my dvd player is a toshiba sd-3750.

5. I just found out that I can hear sound out of the 2 front speakers when I hit 'CD.' It says the signal is Dolby Digital but when I try to go to DVD 5.1 channel it only says 'analog' for the signal.

6. ah geez, okay I can hear all 5 speakers, dolby digital, but only when I press 'CD'

7. itchiban

itchiban Guest

your cd input is probably set for digital in. On my pioneer reciever, the dvd 5.1 input is for old dvd players that actually send out 6 cables to the reciever. The DVD/LD is what the digital input is set to.

8. I'll try that when I get back.

9. the only signal i can select from is analog on dvd/ld

10. itchiban

itchiban Guest

that wierd, you should be able to select digital. and also, if you havent already, make sure your dvd player is set to digital out.

11. I went through the setup menu and the only audio thing I could see that seemed like it would make a difference is the choice between bitstream or pcm, neither of which I found to work (maybe I missed something)

12. 04

04 Guest

It definatly needs to be set to bitstream, PCM is non compressed audio. Are you sure that the right digital input is mapped to your reciever dvd function?

13. i thought so

I thought it was I have 2 optical inputs, and I tried them both, I'll try them again though just for the hell of it

14. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I would re-read the manual if i were you, i know with my pioneer, i couldnt set the specific channels (i.e. cd, dvd, tv) to analog or digital unless i used the remote. You should definatily be able to set dvd/ld to digital. because both dvd and ld players have ditital outputs.

15. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

A button behind a door - EDIT: on the front panel - (at least on mine) marked 'optical' is used to set the digital to 'off', 'DVD', or 'LD' (in that order)

BTW, mine is a VSX-07TX

16. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

fixed yet?

17. no, i have tried everything, or so it seems, this is pissin me off