DVD-RW vs DVD+RW ???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dopeskills, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Dopeskills

Dopeskills Nothing can beat the Hyundai !!!

What's the difference? and which is better?

I'm going to be backing up lots of DivX videos.

Is it worth the extra money to get a drive that supports both formats?

2. MR Yasir

MR Yasir New Member

Get a Sony DRU-500AX (like I did) and never worry about the differences in format. If you have to pick one way or another, I don't think it'll really matter if all you're doing is backing up files.

3. Early Apex

Early Apex Guest

From dvdrhelp.com:
    DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 88% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 69% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R/W has some better features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 84% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 70% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

That depends. The two formats are so similar (and yet incompatible) that it's difficult to call one "better" than the other. If the technical advantages of +R are important to you -- lossless linking, CAV and CLV, ability to edit +RW without erasing the disc -- then that's the better format. Various compatibility studies have shown both formats to have the compatibility edge, so I don't really know who to trust. Regardless, both formats are pretty much 100% compatible with new players, it's older players that tend to have problems.

Then neither format has much of an advantage. Buy the one that's cheapest. -R media has tended to be cheaper than +R media, but that advantage is either gone or decreased to a negligible amount.

IMO, no. The Sony DRU drives, capable of writing both formats, are very popular, but are $100 - $200 more expensive than single-format writers. I think you're better off choosing a format and then upgrading to a Blu-Ray drive when they become available and cheap.

Personally, I've got an HP 200i +R/+RW drive, and I've been happy with it. Remember also that DVDs burned in one format will be compatible with most DVD players and most DVD-ROM drives, even drives of the other format. You just can't burn the other format's media.

4. Early Apex

Early Apex Guest

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how much are dvd burners these days?
    and their media?

6. Dopeskills

Dopeskills Nothing can beat the Hyundai !!!

I've been looking at burners for around $250
    4X Write
    2X Re-Write