DVD-RW can burn DVD, but can't read them

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by myhamster, May 25, 2006.

1. myhamster

myhamster New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I have a Pioneer DVR-106A DVD-RW, which had been working great for 3 years, running window2000. Now, I'm not sure what's changed, but I can burn DVD-R's, but I can't read them. I'm just burning files using Nero, and I'm finalizing the DVD. I can pop the DVD-R into my laptop afterwards and my laptop reads the files on it just fine.

But when I put it into my DVD-RW drive, the drive saids there's no media. The "verify after burn" option in Nero also fails.

Anyone know what the deal is? Ever since this started happening, when windows starts up, it thinks the dVD-RW drive is a new device, tries to install it, and comes up with a error message "Windows could not load installer".

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Apparently, Pioneer only releases a firmware update for this drive, there is absolutely no Pioneer driver. Maybe it just uses window's generic driver? When I got the driver details, it tell me that the driver file is:

which is the exact same path and file as my CD-ROM driver! I'm guessing the "cdrom.sys" maybe should be "dvdrom.sys" or something?

Could someone with a window2000 OS check their driver name for me please?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    drivers between the two will be the same. Nero uses an ASPI/IMAPI driver to do it's magic.

are these files or a dvd movie? Sounds like a defective drive.