DVD+R burning speed/firmware issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gho5t, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Gho5t

Gho5t OT Supporter

Ok, i purchased an Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, and got a 4x DVD+R burner, everything works great but heres the problem, using 4x Kodak DVD+R media (also tried Fujifilm 8x) the fastest i can burn is 2.4x, i've tried nero (nero even tells me the max speed of my burner is 2.4X), sonic, copytodvd and some other programs, i remember the dvd burner i had on my desktop was a pioneer 4x DVD-R, that i was having the same issue with, i found this one site that had some firmware upgrades, i upgraded the firmware on the pioneer and could burn at 4x with no problem, so i'm thinking i can do the same thing with my +R burner but can't remember the site, one other issue i had was i'm not entirly sure what kind of DVD+R burner this is, but xp is showing it as an: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N
    i was also thinking that maybe this is just a 2.4x speed burner, but if that was the case how in the hell is dell just going to market it as a 4x?
    so anyone have any idea how i can start burning at 4x, or where i can find some firmware upgrades for the DVD+r burner above?, and why on earth are burners set up this way?? any info at all is greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº