DVD Player Problem - Shutting off when trying to play a disc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Surgie, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

It's a Sony DVP-NS715P, it's a few years old but it's been pretty good to me considering that I've been running the damn thing near 24/7 (I don't watch a lot of cable tv :o). Anyways a couple days ago it stopped working... more specifically whenever I put in a disc (tried a dvd, vcd, audio cd) it'll start to read it, the motor will sound like it's spinning up a few times and then all of a sudden the player will shut off. It will never recognize the type of disc on the front panel like it does when it's operating normally. I unplugged it for a few hours just to see if maybe it was something stupid but it's still doing it, so I figure it's something non-trivial.

If I don't put a disc in I can still use the menu and everything fine, so I guess it's something more to do with the motor shorting out the power supply or something :dunno:

Anyways just thought I'd ask you guys to see if anyone had a similar problem in the past and what the cause was... it's old enough now that I'd rather just buy a new one than try to get this repaired at a shop / send it to sony, but if it's something that I can fix myself I'd like to try that first.