DVD-Player/Burner took a shit, now what?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBlonde, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop, purchased it in 2003 or something so I suppose it's about time to just junk the entire thing or replace it but would it be worth it to reformat, install a new disk drive and add more memory?

I don't need anything fancy for a burner but it's sort of a bitch not having one at the moment.

Thanks for any input....I don't game or anything that really needs a computer stronger than what I currently have, it works, just needs a few new parts and a cleaning.
    :wiggle:

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

specs?

if the machine suites your needs fine, no need to waste money, even though it has never been cheaper for powerful systems.

dvd burner $30.
    more ram? 2GB ~$30

So for $60 you can have a "faster" system. the only thing you may net be able to do well is play HD vids. Even with coreavc, the p4 machine will run at full capacity...

3. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    2.30 GHz, 512MB of RAM

I'm not worried about playing HD videos or anything, I would just like to boost this computer a little to get me by until I decide I need something bigger/newer/mobile.

Can you suggest what RAM (manufac) I would want to purchase or a DVD burner that is budget but will not break down quickly?

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

5. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

alright I'm going to go with what you suggested here, i'll probably be bugging you again in a week for some guidance on the install/reformat. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  6. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

A co-worker had a Dell 2400 bought in 2004 that he was going to throw away, so I offered to look at it to see what was wrong. It was a P4 2.8ghz with 256mb ram, and loaded up with viruses. I told him to reformat it, and put 2gb of ram in it. Now he has an extremely decent emal/web computer.

7. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

That sounds like what I'm in the works of doing, although I really don't know anything about reformatting. :o

8. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I remember being at that point. If you have the ability, have a second computer sitting there so you can google how to do it. There is a welth of info online.

9. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

There is alot of bullshit that I don't use on the computer anymore, I've tried to uninstall most of it but it doesn't seem to eliminate what I want gone. I have 59 processes running right now and the only thing i'm doing is posting on OT.

I thought that reformatting would eliminate the unnecessary junk that got attached to my computer at one time or another. There are a few programs that I don't have the install disks for anymore but would like to keep, I have a second hard drive that I would potentially be able to move what I want to keep to.

The real grind of this entire thing is that I don't know exactly what I want to do or how to do it, the dvd-burner shit out so I am replacing that, I'm also adding more memory, whatever else I should do and how so is yet to be determined.

10. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

There is typically a laptop around the apartment but I think i'll attempt to find the info/print it out before hand.

11. doubledave

doubledave New Member