DVD playback problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jun 28, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Okay, I know its not the DVD and CPU usage is < 40% so I know thats not it.

Installed is WMP11 and Nero 6 suite. Legal versions of both on XP Home SP3. GeForce 6800 is the GPU

The DVD plays fine sometimes, sometimes it plays choppy and has slow downs/speed ups up to the point where you cant understand what they're saying and its unwatchable. I mean a slowdown then speed up in a matter of a few seconds, like it falls behind with playing the DVD and catches up quickly, and then repeats. Sometimes it says theres a decoder/driver/region problem. And sometimes ti says the DVD is not compatible with the player b/c of the wrong region. I've checked the region and its fine.

Latest firmware for the DVD drive, latest nvidia GPU firmware installed. UDMA Mode 2 is enabled. All DVD playback programs I've tried (at least 3) don't work. And i'd like to figure it out in WMP11 because before my reformat a few months ago it used to work fine.

Also, I have the same problem on a laptop w/ XP meida center SP3 with PowerDVD and WMP11 installed and K-lite codec pack. I've tried various codec packages from download.com, no difference.

On another XPH SP3 with WMP11 I have NO issues, so I know those two alone probably aren't the entire cause of the problem.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

What about background programs running?
    Have you tried using VLC?

Codec packs aren't going to help you with DVD play back. Both WMP11 and PowerDVD have codecs for playing DVD. So even if you hadn't installed those packs DVDs would still play.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

Not very many programs running, antivirus, AOL (I know, I know), AIM...that's it.

I haven't tried VLC but I was on this site: http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/ and the DVD43 (DVD for free) program allowed the DVD to play. I'm not using the program for anything illegal. I didn't make a copy of the DVD or anything.

Look towards the bottom of this page. See the picture that says, "This player is incompatible with the region marking of this disc?" Thats one of a few errors I got on my desktop, but I ended up trying the DVD43 software on my laptop, which was having the same issue as the desktop but without the same incompatability error showing up, and it works. I'm not using it for anything illegal, just to watch a legit netflix DVD copy of entourage season 1.

So does that help narrow down teh problem at all? Everything is 100% legal on both computers. ZERO pirated software. WTF could cause such a strange issue?

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Turn off any decrypting software (DVD43) when watching DVDs. This will always slow them down to hell. There is absolutely no reason to allow decrypting software to run unless you are copying a dvd illegally. Decrypting software will not allow you to watch anything that you would otherwise not be able to watch, its purely there for copying.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

I'm not copying it.There's really no point for me to copy it. But what I'm curious about is why the hell did it not skip with the software running in the background? Meanwhile before I got the software, it was unwatchable.