DVD Drive wont work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tunes, Sep 6, 2008.

1. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

Ok computer crew,
    I recently purchased a desktop that only came with a cd-rom. I purchased a DVD-Rom and put it in today to replace the CD-rom. When i go into my computer it says DVD Drive but under details it says:

DVD Drive (D
    Cd Drive

It will read CDs but no DVDs. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and deleting the filters in the registry and neither have worked.....what can i do to make this stupid piece of shit read DVDs?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Hooked on DVD Phonics

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

did the dvd drive come with any software? i don't know about vista, but i don't think xp came with the appropriate codecs to decrypt DVDs.

4. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

nope.

I am running XP.
    i downloaded a driver for it but all it does is open up in a DOS window and says:
    Please insert a formatted diskette and press enter

it is a HLDS GDR-8081N drive

5. doubledave

doubledave New Member

I've seen the same kind of thing. A DVD-ROM drive that is broken in a way that it reads CD ROMs but not DVDs. Doesn't have anything to do with software. Simply won't read DVDs. You can check that by opening the drive in "my computer" and see if you see files in it. A DVD video disc will have an Audio_TS and Video_TS folders in it regardless of whether DVD playing software is installed or not. If it can read CD-ROMs then it should be able to read DVD-ROMs if the drive isn't bad.

6. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

so I need to send the drive back and have it replaced? When I put a DVD in it will always say please insert a disk

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

optical drives has one optical head,... and may have:
    a) a separate laser diode for CDs, and another separate laser diode for DVDs (add another separate laser diode for Lightscribe, etc); or
    b) a dual-mode laser diode

either way,... the CD laser diode can function even if the DVD laser diode is busted.

if this is the case,.. you are just wasting your time troubleshooting. just replace the drive.