DVD drive help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lt1aggie, Nov 26, 2007.

1. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

I've got a samsung sh-s162l dvd writer. I've had it for a while, but lately, I've noticed when trying to play movies, the music from the movie is loud and clear, but the voice audio is barely audible. I thought I'd try to update the drivers to see if that helps. So I looked around on samsung's website and downloaded their newest firmware zip file. When I extract it, it has 3 .exe files and a .pdf that 'explains' what to do. First it says to open the inquiry program to see what version is currently installed. I did that. Then, it says to 'select and run the execution file to be upgraded.' I'm assuming this means the sh-a162l_ts08.exe file. When I do that, and then select the correct drive, it just sits there and doesn't do anything. When I click the button that says 'start file download' and error message pops up and says 'flash file not opened'. I tried opening the other file and doing it again, but it just gives me the same error. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I did a google search and found other people having the same problem, but there really aren't any answers on what to do.

clffs: samsung's dvd firmware updater isn't working properly

[​IMG]

2. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

But now i'm confused, because i guess the firmware and driver isn't the same thing. Device manager shows the driver as being microsoft from 7/1/2001 which worries me 1. because it sounds like a generic driver and 2. it's so old. When I click on 'update driver' in device manager, it says that it can't find a better one.