DVD burning question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tstwahine, Nov 17, 2004.

1. tstwahine

tstwahine Rudeness is better than any argument; it totally e

Laguna Beach, CA but in Boston, MA for school
    Okay first off, ive bought about 200 dvd's give or take... and i dont pirate or anything like that... however, since ive moved off to college and brought all my DVD's with me my little brother (whos 16) is a bit bummed that his older sister who is 3000 miles away now has basically the whole family DVD collection (their mine but i let them use them) a lot of those DVD's were bought by my fam for me originally. So i just want to burn copies for my little brother... i dont see why this would be a problem or anything legally. But moving on... i have DVD X-Copy platinum...but i cant figure out how to work it correctly. I just want to copy the movie for him, he could give a crap about the extras....any help by pm or in here would be awesome...or you can message me on aim at Tstwahine... Thanks so much.
    Jaimee
    Also if its worth it i have a TDK DVD burner... blah. Thanks!

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

While I've never used it personally, you might find DVD Shrink easier to use and it's free.
    click it

3. tstwahine

tstwahine Rudeness is better than any argument; it totally e

Laguna Beach, CA but in Boston, MA for school
    yeah but doesnt dvd shrink not burn anything? It just compresses it?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

In addition to DVD Shrink, you'll also want another free program called DVD Decrypter. DVD Shrink can compress the DVD for you and automatically open up DVD Decrypter and burn it for you.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

it doesn't compress it, it'll let you take out features you don't need. Like other language audio and sub-titles and all the extras you said you don't need leaving you with just the movie itself.

And I could be wrong, I've never used myself (maybe I should so I can get a first hand understanding of it even if I don't have a DVD burner), but it'll either copy the files you need to your hard drive to which you can then use Nero or Roxio to burn to DVD or it'll make a disc image which you can use to burn to dvd using the same programs.

Click here for some guides on using DVD Shrink
    (at the top of that page, under the Tool pull-down menu you can find DVDXCopy, Pro and Xpress but most of the guides there also list the use of DVD Shrink, I didn't read how they are used though)