DVD burner with LightScribe

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So I have a DVD burner with LightScribe. Found a deal locally for a 50 pack of LightScribe discs. Does anybody use LightScribe for anything?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I have lightscribe, and never used it. Sharpie ftw :)

3. Chris

Chris New Member

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have one. It's pretty cool, but can take a long time to burn the label depending on what you are putting on it. A full image takes about 20 mins.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is fucking useless. You burn one lightscribe disc and then you're like, I spent extra money for that??? And it takes for fucking ever. I have a 16X DVD-RW and a 52X CD-RW function specifically because I once had a 2X CD-RW and I remember how painful that was.... why would I purposely force myself to wait that long again?

Sharpies come in colors, ya know.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Lightscribe is useful when you don't want to buy a printer that can print on CDs, and you want something that looks better than a Sharpie. I wouldn't use it for a backup of my personal files, but I would use it if I were going to give someone else a disc.

Lightscribe will get faster as time goes on, just like CD burning did. One bit of advice; burn the label BEFORE you burn the data, because the layer of organic dye that makes CD-Rs burnable is right underneath the top layer of plastic on the disc -- which is to say, right underneath the Lightscribe surface -- and the data can sometimes be corrupted by the Lightscribe labeling process if the label is burned after the data.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I would probably just use it to label the discs in case they get mixed up.

"Acronis backup 7-18-07", or such.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a sharpie is faster for that. With lightscribe it takes longer and requires you remove the cd, flip it over, and re-insert it.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I bought a dvd burner with lightscribe a couple weeks ago. i think lightscribe is really neat. definitely not worthless.

if you are writing a full image (which is pretty :greddy: ) on it, yes it will take long. but if you're writing just a couple lines of text, it won't take long at all. and I don't care how good your handwriting is, it WILL look more professional than a sharpe. I know that isn't always important. But it does the job of a disc labeler (many of which suck themselves) and disc burner, and most the time you don't really pay any extra for the lightscribe feature.

10. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Currently, you pay about double for the disks.

11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

this is true...

not everyone will use it all the time, so obviously its a waste to buy lightscribe discs and then sharpie them.

I have a spindle of 100 regular dvds I’m working my way through and a pack of 25 lightscribe dvd's I got for like $10. I expect i'll run out of regular dvd's before I run out of lightscribe dvds. but the 10% of the time I use a lightscribe dvd it is definitely worth it.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

So, you buy one package of Lightscribe discs and use them when you want to make something look pretty and you buy normal CDs to just burn pictures or whatever

Its not like non-lightscribe discs wont work in a lightscribe burner :squint:

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You two take your "common sense" and GTFO. We don't need that kind of open-mindedness here.