dvd burner stops working when I try to burn a dvd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maliboost, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

the drive works fine until I try to write to a dvd, it will burn cds fine, but when I try to burn a dvd the drive will stop working completly, It wont do anything, no lights it won't eject, acts like there is no power at all. the drive starts working again only if I reboot. the drive is a MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9

2. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

is its firmware upgradeable? if it's like my burner you could get the latest firmware/drivers and see if it fixes your problem. if it starts to burn then quits you could try burning at a lower speed or freeing up some of your memory. your description is kinda vague, could you go in-depth?

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I recommend a firmware upgrade. If that doesn't do the trick i'd suggest an RMA, but even at that, if you have to pay the shipping one way you are better off just getting a new drive, they are quite affordable these days. And you wouldn't have to wait XX days to get your RMA drive or replacement back.

4. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

yeah I think there is a firmware upgrade i'll try that, It doesn't even start to burn the dvd the drive completly shuts down during initialization, drive doesn't do anything at all, is there something like a circut breaker in the drive? it loosed all power won't eject, blink, or respond to anything. I thought it my be a weak power supply i had but I've upgraded and it still doen't work. I guess I should of spent a little more instead of getting the cheapest one

5. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

yeah, sounds like you need the latest firmware and drivers. if that doesn't fix it it's probably defective. what type of dvd are you burning, i noticed the burner was called dvd9 so are you trying to do something weird with it like burn a dual layer dvd to a standard dvd without compression? i don't believe that would really be the problem but anything's possible...especially if you're using a program that came with the burner. try using nero to burn something and see if it goes crazy on you.

6. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

i was using reular discs but i was copressing it down to like 4.3 gigs. I've updated the firmware so all I need to do if find a good movie to copy I hope it works:x: