DVD burner question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Byromaniac, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

yes, here's yet another dvd burning question. i know ive seen a lot around :hs: and i apologize

im still one of those who has not picked myself up one yet, mainly because i dont wanna dish out a few hundred dollars on a dvd burner only to has a faster one come out a little while later. so, my question: is there going to be faster burners than 8x coming out in the near future? and my bonus question is: does anybody know how fast they will be when they cant make em any faster? :dunno: or is 8x going to be it?

2. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

they are going to be faster; i dunno how soon tho; if you pick up an 8x dual format for around 80 you will be pleased and not be spending too much money. i think sony came out with a dual layer disc; but if you spend around 80 it will be a good buy

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

Buddy at ISU has a 12x burner, saw it with my own eyes... but i cant find it anywhere right now to show u a link... but it was expensive and wasnt worth the extra $$ IMHO. I have the NEC 8x dual format and im dam satisfied with it. I bought it right before it started nosediving in price when it was $95 and now its been as low as $80 in the last weeks.

I dont think the 'blue laser' burners will be out for a while, ive been reading about them for a while but havent seen anything about when they will be comming to the US.

4. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

thanks for the help guys :bigthumb:

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

6. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

There are 12x burners out, but media availability is a little meh. Even 8x media can be a little tough to get at reasonable rates. Yes, they will get faster, but the more interesting future development is dual layer. You can already buy dual layer compatible drives (I think Ben-Q has one that just requires a firmware upgrade). I'd go ahead and spend the $80+ for an 8x dual format right now, as dual layer is still just emerging. And yes, you *will* always get burned by the progress of technology. ;) Buy the $80 and use it now, and buy a new one in a couple years. Something better will *always* be coming down the pipe.

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Blue laser is the big thing that sony will be bringing out this summer, dual layer.