DVD burner is whacked?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Jul 6, 2005.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i used to be able to burn DVDs at 8x, which is the fastest the burner can go. i dont burn DVDs very often. now for some reason it will only burn 2x even tho the DVD itself can go up to 8x. i use Nero. is this hardware or software? some setting in nero?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

lots of those need bios flashes. check the manufacturer's website for the latest firmware

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i wouldn't flash.

did this change in speed correspond to using a new type of disc?

4. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

thats what i was thinking. if the disk isn't rated at 8x (i.e. you got cheap disks that only say 2x on them) then the drive will detect that and auto-slow itself down to prevent a ton of coasters.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

normally a bios flash is the LAST thing i want to do. but a lot of dvd burners require it

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

right right of course. this disk my cousin gave my though says 8x on it. is there a way to check disk speed? maybe its mislabeled? :dunno:

for the BIOS flash, I should go to my mobo manufacturer's site rite? is that safe? flashing the BIOS that is

edit: shit i just did a Nero DriveSpeed check and also CD-Speed check, and they both say the DVD is only 2x. fuck! i swear ive burned faster than that, totally positive. could it just the the Nero suite screwing up? i should try a different DVD burning software. any recommendation?

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Later versions of Nero comes with a slew of tools to verify media speed, brand, etc. I beleive it's called Nero InfoTool in the Toolkit programs folder.

Just because dvd media is rated 8x, doesn't mean it can write @ 8x. Some dvd burners can be very picky and finicky for some media. videohelp.com lists all the media that most burners support sectioned by burners.

No, you are not flashing your motherboard. There's no need for that unless there are other issues or if the drive is the same manufacturer as your mobo. You need to go the dvd burner's manufacturer's site.

edit: Try different media, again, dvd burners are picky about their media.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dvd burners are VERY picky. They're not like cd-rw drives. With cd burners, you can pretty much burn at whatever the disc is rated at (assuming your drive can do that speed). HOWEVER, dvd's arn't like this. With DVDs, most drives are "table-driven" meaning that a disc that says 8x may NOT be supported at that speed by teh burner. In fact, I've got some 8x discs that only burn at 4x, and then some others that burn at the full 8x... You need to look at your drive and buy discs that are certified to work at the speed you want. That's one of the advantages of the online media-warehouses... They usually have a table listing a disc's compatibility with various popular burners.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Informative and well-behaved. With a subject like this, we would usually expect a reply like "Yes" and nothing else. :mamoru:

Nice to have you back. :wavey:

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

oooh... well that's troublesome. but thanks for the very informative reply!

:bigthumb: shux, i have to be more careful with buying blank dvds now...

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Blank dvd's don't mean anything. Don't buy discs because they are labeled Maxell, TDK, or Verbatim, this doesn't mean anything either. You just need to know what real brand or manufacturer it is and if your drive supports it. videohelp.com will help. There are many cdr media sites as well that discuss this topic.

A manufacturer that is popular is Taiyo Yuden. You can get their value series for ~$30 for 100 discs.