DVD-Audio/SACD Player - A few questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, May 28, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I know this will probably sound dumb but I hear a lot of people saying DVD-audio is best in surround sound and I wouldnt argue with that but I only have a 2-channel stereo set up and I was wondering if the investment into DVD-Audio is still worth it. I know there should be a quality increase etc.

I am on a budget and should the amount of money I invest harm the quality of what I'm getting? I've never owned such type of player so I imagine I wouldnt even notice.

I am thinking about going for a Yamaha DVD-changer. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD_CD/DVDC750.htm

The price seems reasonable and I heard some good reviews.

Any help on this matter would be useful.

I also plan on eventually getting a turn table, i'll make another thread on that in the future.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3. Ne Plus Ultra

Ne Plus Ultra New Member

In the case of DVD-Audio, yes you really should run a 5.1 setup. Do you at least have a 2.1 system with a sub? If you do, A lot of SACD material only outputs in 2.1, and it doesnt sound half bad for being a high bit rate CD.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

2.1 yes

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I dunno man. I watch plenty of movies on my 2.1 system and haven't thought yet "I really wish I had speakers behind me". I think you seem like a 2-channel sort of guy, so if you really want to venture into home theater I would do it right the first time and wait until you have enough money to match your front speakers in terms of quality, as well as the center channel. Do you watch a huge number of movies that really utilize 5.1 surround?

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm not really anything impressive ive seen, my brother has a good 5.1 system and the only thing im really missing is some ambience from waht ive noticed, all the movies i watch are in 2.1.

movies arent much of a concern to me, im just a big music freak, having a nice 5.1 for movies would be nice and all and but it just doesnt do it for me like music, the audio effects i like out of movies i can get from a 2.1, i dont really need that fully emmersed feeling, i think it will be this fall/winter, i will be building a 5.1 set up for the family.

Are there any decent SACD players that budget friendly?

7. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Keep in mind there are 2 audio formats, SACD and DVD-Audio. In all the players I have seen, they either do one or the other. Just want to make sure you know that.
    edit: oops, I just looked at yamaha's website...looks like this one does both

Also with the yamaha dvd player, do you have a link to any of the reviews? I have a DVD-C940 and its great, but it has a few problems here or there. I think it stopped playing my sacds about 6 months ago. I bought it open box, but I have a 5 year store warranty, so I dont really care what happens to it.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah i decided im going to hold off on this until i build a 5.1 this summer, yamaha receiver and dvd player, JBL floor standers, PSB center. havent decided what to do for rear portion and sub