MIL Duty

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrduke, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Since this weekend was a duty weekend for me, it got me thinking. How serious do you take duty? I know people that seem to have no problem drinking, and while not actually on watch, they're still in a duty status. I personally don't drink at all and generally stay close to my recall. I don't know how duty works in the other branches but I'd imagine they're pretty much the same, so how seriously do you take it?

2. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

I have my cell phone and I don't drink during the week I'm on call.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Duty as in a training weekend for reserves? Or duty as in you are working the weekend as part of a rotating weekend while you are active duty?

When I was active duty I was military all the way. I took everything seriously. This might be hard to believe for those of you that have spent all of your time on CONUS bases. But when I was active duty, for bases in Europe, the threat was very real.

Five of the barbers on my base were arrested for espionage. At regular intervals during the day/night, the fog emitters would kick off to cover up our Victor Alert area to hide our alert jets from the view of soviet spy satellites. The F4's in that area were loaded with nukes, and anyone that needed to do maintenance on the alert jets knew that you forfeit your life if you screwed up while inside the "no lone zone". The Wing went on frequent alerts, and we rarely had any advance warning of when they would kick off. Pyramid recalls would start in the wee hours of the morning, and woe to the dumb sonofabitch that didn't take them seriously, or failed to notify the people on his recall list.

We knew that we were training for war. The men and women I worked with took our jobs very seriously.

*sigh* I miss those days. Life was so much simpler back then. :hs:

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

duty in the navy is way different :sadwavey:

5. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Duty is a lot different in the Marine Corps.

6. NPH

NPH Guest

you gotta be more specific when you say duty.. because it can be pretty much anything.

Barracks duty (babysit the barracks and report any violations, etc) is boring as fuck. If you're lucky, the duty hut has internet connection and a tv. Otherwise, it'll be a loooooong 24 hours.

I've been stuck in both situations. Oh and yes, I take it seriously because you don't know who could be watching you and who could be walking in throughout your post.

7. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

when i sat duty in flight school, it was a 12 hour watch that could either be rediculously busy (during a good-weather flying day) or insanely boring (overnight shifts on holidays).

we always took it somewhat seriously though - no drinking or sleeping while on duty.

8. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I'm talking about active duty in a Navy squadron. We have a 4 duty section rotation. Duty usually consists of a 6 or 8 hour watch and duty section taking care of anything else that needs to be done (ie. this weekend we had to drop an engine bay door and move that bird to another hangar for some maintenance). Cool story, thanks for sharing. :cool:

9. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I suppose. To all of you saying that it's different, could you be more specific? What are your duties/watches/responsibilties while in a duty status?