duramax diesel for college???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Trinidad, May 10, 2007.

1. Trinidad

Trinidad New Member

i would like some opinions on this. Would you recommend it? i know that i would either like a vortecMAX or a duramax. I'm not too sure because i don't know about gas mileage, the duramax would probably be used or an 06

2. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

Are you just planning on using it to commute, or actually use the duramax for what its made for? Its quite a bit of truck to just tool around in. I have a 2003 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed, Diesel. I wouldnt trade it for anything else, but its not cheap for a college student. Just make sure you can afford it.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, maintenance is spendy. Oil changes, alone, are much more expensive with diesel than with gas.

I imagine the duramax does about 5mpg better than the VortecMax, however.

Regardless, don't buy either one on gas mileage. The added cost of the diesel is high, and it's only worth it if you need the diesel for towing, or you're keeping it sufficiently long (like 10yrs) to make the added cost worthwhile.

4. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

well why not convert it to a biofuel powered diesel.
    Im sure you could find local fast food places that look to get rid of the oil for cheap or free
    still a lot of truck but could be good

edit: of course you cant mind smelling a bit like fries and burgers ect, lol

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I wouldnt. I'd get something cheap, reliable, and economical, preferably without a car payment!

6. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Take my advice do eeeeet! I've had two duramax trucks in college and it was great. People are always looking to have shit hauled and you can make some extra cash that way :rofl:

However the cheap ass in me says find a nice 4.0L Jeep (Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler) instead. Unless you're getting a new truck for free then go for it!

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

^^ I agree. I have a 99 cherokee and I have made some extra money moving shit. Another thing to think about is parking. If it is a pain in the ass already think about trying to parallel park a big truck into a small space.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure you can get your hands on some sandbags so you don't spin out and kill yourself the first time it snows.

9. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

^ lol
    true ive done it before

10. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Im in college and Im rocking the 3/4 ton diesel truck. If you want it get it.

11. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

Gayest advice in this thread. :hsugh: Why not go with something cheap and paid for? Seems to make more sense for a college student, esp. if you are living on campus.

Brokeback - I remember your thread about getting hit a while back. Whatever happened with that??