A&P Dumbell Nebula - astropic

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Oct 12, 2008.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Here ya go Twisted Sti :) This ones a total of 36 minutes of exposure and I finally found a processing that I liked. Also played with a different technique to pull out more red then I usually get.

[​IMG]

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

3. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

is that the whole frame or is that cropped

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

How are you not getting star trails? Pics of your setup?

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Here's the scope, mount, and tripod. Just remove the eyepiece, install t-adapter and 40D and I'm all set.

[​IMG]

7. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

how much does that cost?

8. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Very cool

9. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

That set up would be about 1500-1600. Good optics, but the mount is about the cheapest good computerized model. It will work much better once I get around to buying and mounting a second scope on it, attach laptop, and use it as a guide scope to keep the objects perfectly centered down to just a few pixes of variance. I'll probably pull all my hair out once I get to work on that:)

10. ¤

¤ New Member

11. Nullius

Nullius New Member

i thought the more sophisticated telescope computers could track the stars according to their database. i figured it would auto rotate it for you

12. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

They track them based entirely on a speed called "sidereal time" (the rate at which the earth rotates. So any error in the alignment of the mount with True North will cause the stars to streak during the exposure. Also gears can't be made truly perfect at a reasonable cost so you have slight tracking errors built into the mount. The errors do diminish as the cost of the mount goes up.

Using a second scope, camera, and computer to make fine adjustments is just cheaper than say a $25,000 mount.

13. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

I am in Astronomy class at ASU can I use there scopes/tripods?

14. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

15. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Its cropped no enlargement done. Actually probably a 50% reduction to act as sharpening if anything. Its a very tiny object, but with dslr attached to my F/10 scope it really makes it nice looking.

Evan

16. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

17. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Hey Evan-I just got in my Astronomik CLS EOS-Clip filter...if the weather holds out I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow night.

18. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Nice I got mine a couple weeks ago and so far I'm very impressed. That shot was done with the moon very bright and as close as it can get to that target which is probably 20 degrees away. It cut through the LP and showed more detail than I've ever gotten.

19. kill_turu_kill

Did you use a custom White Balance?

20. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yeah I got a grey card and used that under mid-day light like it said on the card and that seemed to work very well.

Since less light is around now you can also take a pic of a class G2V star (the same spectral class as our sun) and set your white balance to match that in processing. Its more work, but according to what I've read it would give the closest possible match. I might try it soon if I think about it, but in the end the colors of the objects you are processing in space are determined more by what pleases your eye since we can't visually see the correct colors of any deep space objects.

21. kill_turu_kill

Nowhere near as impressive as your pic Evan, but here is the M27 shot at 200mm with my XTi, Canon 70-200 L F4, and ten 30 second exposures. Also shot under a full moon, I'm hoping next week I can double my exposure times. Also, I forgot to shoot darks.. :doh:

[​IMG]

22. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

That pic is a good one to show just how small that target is. For the pic from the start of this thread I removed my focal reducer to increase my FL to 2032mm to get the most prime focus magnification out of it.

That object is 15.2 arc minutes and ring nebula is 2.5 minutes. Our SCT scopes have a resolution of .63 arc seconds so we can get a lot of detail if we can keep the scope steady long enough.

23. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Question for some of you guys about printing though. I took this pic down to local camera store to make a vew 4x6 prints at different black levels to find a good one to use.

Problem is their printer seems to lose a lot of my image data. They are limited to 20MB files at the stores and at their pro lab they can do up to 100MB files. They like 8 bit JPEG files best, but they except 16 bit TIFFs from me. I wonder if they are getting some odd conversion? That pic up there lost most of its red on the prints.

24. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Ya I would try and maybe do it online, have a look around :dunno:

25. kill_turu_kill

I've never tried getting a digital astroprint done, but I remember back in the '80s I would get all of my astrophotos processed and printed at professional labs. And, believe it or not, I still got screwed a couple of times. I'd always tell the techs not to cut the negatives, but it never failed, I'd sometimes get back an envelope of random cuttings with 2 different halves of one picture (they thought they were all black, screwups, and therefore just cut wherever the hell they felt like it).