GUN Dumbass gun store

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlowTA367, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Well, this week I've gone to every gun store in town to see what they've got. And everyone has the exact same shit. No Walthers, maybe 4 Sigs, definitely no Steyrs, but they have Glocks, XDs, and 1911 out the ass.

Anyway, I just got back from one place and they were gay as hell. The guy told me I had to be 21 just to look at a handgun :ugh: .

Is that really the law? If it is then nobody else in town gives a fuck about it. Then he started telling me he could lose his license and shit like that. I decided I probably shouldn't tell him that I've had a 1911 since I was 19 :mamoru:

Was he just full of shit or was he actually right?

2. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

You cannot own a handgun until you are 21, unless accompanied by adult/etc.

He probably has that policy to eliminate the endless tire-kicking from people who can't even buy the shit trying to look at it.

3. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

But 4 days away from my birthday, and I can't even hold the fucking thing? I mean Jesus, I'm not trying to get the guy in trouble here. I'll be purchasing from a different store anyway though so I guess it doesn't matter.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can't buy a handgun if you are under 21 from a dealer but in most states I believe you may be given one as a gift, or purchase one FTF from an individual seller.

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I mentioned that to him and he said both parties involved would get prison time :ugh2:

6. Maybe he just doesn't like kids too young to buy handguns coming into his store and asking to hold them. If you turn 21 in 4 days anyways just forget about it and buy a gun somewhere else. Who knows, he might even be right about it being the law.

7. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

you should go back to the store with a handgun that you bought at another place.

8. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I probably will. They have an indoor range, so I might have to go try out my new gun there :mamoru: . That is if I ever make a fucking decision.

9. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Sounds like what happened to me today, I went to walmart to pick up some WWB. The guy at the counter (not the normal guy) asked for my ID, I handed to him and he immediatly said that he could sell it to me. I turned 21 in november and havent had my license changed yet, so it still says "under 21" I explained to him that you had to look at the date on it, and he called someone over to verify it. He claimed he had never seen it before (even though he was probably only 24-26)

Only reason I buy there is convience. And when the guy couldn't count and gave me 2 extra boxes of ammo, which I consider repayment.

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

turns out that the trip was worth it then :bigthumb:

11. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

How the hell did he screw that up? :mamoru:

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:walmart:

13. Edghill

Edghill and boom...Dino DNA

i work at a sporting goods store at the gun counter and it is our policy not to show handguns to anyone under 21, as far as i know that is the law and yes you can own a handgun when you are 18 if it is gifted to you or bought from an individual, just cant buy from an ffl

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It's the law that a person under 21 cannot be shown a handgun?

15. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

No, seriously. Here you say "I need XXXX boxes of XXXX ammo."

They get said boxes, ring them up, place them in a bag. You'd have to literally have the IQ of a 2 year old to fuck it up.

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

That's what it's like in LA.

I wouldn't doubt TX being the same way though.

Of course when I was in Houston they checked my ID to look at a rifle :hsugh: Fucking 60 year old man working the counter being a dick. He looks at my ID and says, "Yup, you can buy a rifle" and shows me one. I said, "handguns too" and he goes, "You have to be 21 for that" I was days away from 22 :hsugh:

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

the guy here you have to tell he the ammo is on the 3rd row down in the right case and even then he'll ask you for the price on the ammo not the actual caliber of the bullet. and at a different walmart I had a woman ask to see my ID when I bought ammo, the cash register screen that the customer could see said was the customer born on or before XXX (today's date) 1985. My ID says 1984 on it and I sitting there thinking ok this will be quick, but instead she looks at it and looks at it some more and then pulls out a calculator and does 2006-1984=22

18. feetball

feetball New Member

CHL FTW ... pick gun, show licence, fill out paperwork, get some ammo, give money and walk out the door gun and ammo in hand.

19. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I wouldn't have shown you one either. Why waste time on someone who doesn't even have the ability to buy one?

And as for giving one as a gift to an under-ager, that's called a straw purchase, which is generally frowned upon :mamoru:

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I believe a straw purchase is when you are under 21 and you pay someone who is over 21 to buy you one.

In Oregon anyway I'm almost positive you may be given one as a gift. Like if your father gives you one he doesn't use for a birthday present, I don't think that's a straw purchase.

21. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

:hsugh:
    Because had he shown me one and I liked it, I would have come back on Wednesday with cash in hand. I fail to see how that's a waste of time. Every other place around here has been eager to show me what they have, and every single one of them has known I'm not 21 yet.

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

And in some instances, this IS the case. Its sad really.
    I've had my own Wal Mart Sporting Goods Employee of The Month stories as well.

23. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

:fawk:
    Amarillo is in TX, so of course we have gun stores. We only have 1 that isn't absurdly overpriced though.

Just post in here if you think you're gonna have time, and I'll try to be back in town early. I have to go to Hereford, Dimmit, and Tulia everyday for work, and we usually have a meeting a 4:00 on Tuesday. But maybe we can work something out.

24. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I haven't had any real bad stories here.. although the guy did hand me .357 once when I asked for a box of .38, but that was just him grabbing the wrong one since they're side by side.

25. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Depends on how you look at it....Having a CCW is like a woman having a Amex black card on Rodeo Blvd. It's too hard to control myself when I walk into a gun shop :mamoru: