dumb question: genetics

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by pew pew pew, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

when people say a bodybuilder has 'good genetics' for body building, do they typically mean their muscles and frame are a good shape? i noticed a lot of people can, for example, bench a lot but their chest looks sunken in or their arms are just kind of look like logs with no definition but can lift a lot... also a lot of people have the mass and definition but their muscles just look kind of strange on their body
    or does it mean they can build muscle faster/recover easier/naturally have less body fat and have more potential to be come huge than the rest of us?

:dunno:

2. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

it's the shapes/size/lenghts of their muscles/muscle bellies... their frames.. ability to stay lean/get big etc. lotsa stuff that varies between people

3. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

been meaning to ask, does race also have something to do with it also?

4. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

asian? :x:

timberwolf?

5. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

Yes to an extent, as it does in sports.

6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

genetics is everything! race.. kind of. people in the same race generally share similar genetics..

like black people (not being racist). a lot of those guys just lift without much thought into what they are doing and they get big.

asians.. generally genetics keeps them from getting too big.

7. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

tell that to timber...

8. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

he isn't exactly large. he is very lean and looks good though

9. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

he has 18+ arms and has some of the biggest lats, back development and everything else around here..if that's not large, what is :eek3:

10. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

illusions, illusions, illusions.

I'm not taking anything away from him, he definitely looks better than me. Someone with a 28" waist is going to have that image of having a large back. He is a small jointed genetic freak. PreemO is the same way.

PurEvl is more along the lines of large IMO

11. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

My friend is 5' 9" and 185lbs at roughly 5% b/f. He works out hard, but often takes weeks off from the gym, and as a bartender he gets drunk at least 4 X a week and eats whatever the fuck he wants.... Yet, he never goes above 7% b/f and at just about any point in time could step on a stage and place top 3 in his weight class without even preping.

THAT is good genetics.

12. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

pics of you?

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

110% agreed.

14. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I agree too, and to add onto that is photos dont always tell the whole truth too. Shadows, lighting, camera quality, angles etc all play a part in how good someone can look on film

15. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

It's about muscle shape. Some people just have NO peaks to their biceps at all, others do. Some people really struggle to build certain muscles, whereas a world class bodybuilder probably won't have those issues.

And also yes, it's about their testosterone and anabolic hormone levels, how and where they store fat. How quickly they can gain muscle and lose fat. All of these things. However, remember that you CAN over-ride your hormone levels and increase muscle gain/fat loss with lots of lovely chemicals! But even that won't give you rounded bicep peaks, slimmer ankle or symmetrical abs.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Something I posted elsewhere on this topic...

Genetics can play a HUGE, HUGE role but a lot of factors can come into play. The tendency to strive for perfection (which can be manifested by the tendency to strive and remodel our environment until it fits our goals for example), how the body handles a certain diet/supplement/drug/training is something else, the body's ability to recover, the metabolism, the muscle building/fat burning genes (Flex Wheeler has a certain version of a gene that lets him build muscle a lot more easily than 99% of us for example), etc. There are a whole lot of behavioral, emotional and physiological factors that will be influenced by gene that will play a certain role.

Then there will be the form of the muscle bellies, skin and so on which will influence the aesthetics and the chances to succeed to win.

So it's not "genes" by itself or "environment" by itself. It has to be a combination of both because there's an interplay. Genetics and environment are not separate. They work together. It's called gene-environment interaction. Genes give a certain range of response/results and environment will put a pressure to select the best option from the predetermined (and available) possibilities BUT the person will strive to chose the environment he evolves in so that it fits his genes (it's called niche picking).

17. CPop

CPop New Member

In the words of J.M. Blakely, genetics schmenetics. I agree 100%. Genetics are what might make you lose out at a top level competition. Anyone can look great. Anyone can be ripped. Anyone can be big. Anyone can bench 500. It may take different degrees of effort, but it's do-able. Also, since you can't currently do very much about genetics other than IGF-1 and HGH, don't let it slow you down! I graduated from college at a massive weight of 167lbs. I ran track. I was a cyclist. People told me I had great genetics for that. Now that I'm 270 and have a 650 bench to my name people tell me that I have great genetics for powerlifting. What I really have is heart.

I do believe that genetics play a role, it's just so overstated.

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:bowdown:

19. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i think genetics does play a part. I'v seen teenagers who are literally built from top the bottom and when i ask them if they lift weights they tell me that they play bball all day and dont bother with weight training. 99% of them were african americans. I see these kids walking in and out on a daily basis.

They all had thick necks/huge bones/square face. All traits of a true mesomorph.

20. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

well ya... maybe they get it easier but it's achievable for almost everyone.

the only time I'd say genetics plays a role is when I've seen some BB in great shape but they look horrible. :hsd:

21. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Well.... a couple years ago, I trained this one guy. While not obese or near it, he'd been on the fat side all his life. He was 28 years old at the time and probably 18-20%. When I got him down to about 10%, people were suddenly telling him it was his asian genes that let him get lean...:rolleyes:

22. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i am genetically tall

23. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i love this guy, no homo

24. TZ

TZ Banned

Thats an awesome post cpop

25. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

dunno, if you wanna do the math be my guest

I'm about 280 with visible flexed abs and a 39" waist. I'm guessing somewhere around 15-17%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.