Dumb question for those of you into programing in general...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HPS, Nov 25, 2003.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I would like to get into programing, but I am not sure which way to go to get into it. VB, C+, ect...? What are the differences in what they are used for?

For instance, If you wanted to write a program to break into a system (try different passwords and find holes and such), what would you use to write the script? What if you wanted to write your own operationg system? What if you wanted to write a simple screen saver that made random shapes, but was completely random and had no pattern to the order or placement? What about writing a program that would use the modem to dial all possible numbers in a specific area code till it got another computer?
    I am just trying to get a grasp on what languages are used for what types of uses and programs... I know the above examples have probably already been done, but they are just what I said, examples. :)

Also, what would you use to see the source code for various programs?

I have always wanted to learn to program, and now I am gonna try to start learning, but I need to first get an idea of the direction I would like to go. I am going to be putting Linux on my laptop for a dual-boot with XP so that I can learn that. I know Linux is a good place to start, so thats going on there, well, today I hope. But I would also like some idea on what I should look into for the above examples as far as a programing language to learn...

Thanks everyone... :cool:

2. Why is this a dumb question?

3. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I dunno, just figured people would think it was dumb that I wanna learn programming, but don't know anything about it really... :dunno:

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Definitely not a dumb question.. a good topic actually.

Start with C..

5. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

A decent, mature programmer would never hound someone else for wanting to learn. I would definately reccommend C++ or Visual Basic to begin with. VB is especially nice for beginners because you work with GUI, so you get to really see your results as opposed to outputing to the console. Maybe it's just me but a good VB program just seems easier since you get to point and click your way around alot of it.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I would start with C++, then move on to C# and Java simultaneously when you've grasped Object Oriented Programming ("OOP"), and then branch out from there.

I wouldn't start with VB, it's such an easy language to pick up after learning C++ and Java that it's scary.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

VB has a nice and easy learning curve. I'd recommend this if you want to give programming a whirl to see if you like it. But if you can stomach it and have the discipline, I'd highly recommend C/C++.

VB is rather English-like in its vocubulary and sentance structure. Line by line, it can be easy to read and understand. Of course, VB tends to run only on Microsoft flavored OSes. VB is handy for Windows GUI stuff.

C++ is a bit more challenging to learn and rather challenging to master. C++ allows the coder a lot more control over what they want their program to do - which can be awesome for the programmer or a nightmare depending on your outlook. C/C++ probably can be found on most popular OSes, including gadgets like calculators (the newer TI calculators allow for a flavor of C from the looks of it), cell phones, and PDAs. C/C++ code tend to execute very quickly, and even quicker if the coder wants to do their own code optimizing.

As for a war dialer, that really could be programmed in anything that can talk to a modem. So VB and C/C++ would work just fine.

For password cracking, I'd say C++. It could be done in VB. But C++ can be compiled to run in DOS off a floppy (which could be valuable if you're on the go). C++ is fast and doesn't have much overhead. C++ also has strong string and math handling. Other langauges that might make it interesting would be PHP or Perl which are both scripting langauges (they don't compile like C++ does). Assembler could make things interesting - it would probaby run really fast, but its string handling is "do-it-yourself".

For the screen saver, I'd think VB would be the easiest for this task.

For creating an operating system, that probably would be a mix of Assembler and C/C++. You've got very very low level code needing to be executed to handling mingling with hard drives, video cards, etc and Assembler loves doing that. You'd need C/C++ to build on top of the Assembler programs (maybe use it to build the fancy tools like disk utilities).

Because of the apps you mentioned, C++ and VB will probably be the choices you want to look at. If you were talking web or something else, then there's a different set of languages you'd probably want to look at.

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Based on what you've stated (OS dev, screensavers, hacking, Linux) I would suggest starting with C++. I think Astro summed up everything quite well (as usual :big grin: ).

9. Aeyeaws

Aeyeaws Guest

try python first, its free and it was made to teach programming.

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've heard good things about Python. Pascal was made to teach programming and its no longer "hot". I don't want to say "stay away from Python" but if you can on jump into a more mainstream language off the start, then I'd go for it.

As for free compilers for C/C++:

GCC (comes with Linux - there might be something for Windows)
    CodeWarrior (I believe they have a student edition which is free)
    - probably some others which I haven't heard of but are probably just as good

If you go to a college, you can pick up Microsoft gear VERY cheap (VC++, VB, etc).

11. Python rocks, hardcore. And it wasn't designed to be "a teaching language" - it just happens to fill that role nicely - so don't let that scare you.

Seriously though, it's a very forgiving language and its interpreted nature might make things a little more fun for you.

12. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

we have some smart people here today. Definatly go with Python. Clean syntax, very powerful, easy to learn and can do anything you want. Then I would probably go with C++ or something.

13. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I think its the concepts that are very important, a language for the most part is just syntax. You need to learn the concepts behind computer science...