GUN Dumb ass at range.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by notaniceperson, Sep 16, 2009.

1. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

The range I shoot at is a self policed range. Anyone is permitted, encouraged to call people out who are breaking range or basic safety rules.

I am shooting with a friend at the pistol range when two older guys walk in. One guy steps up to my left and about 3 feet behind me and proceeds to stare at me for a good 5 seconds. I stopped shooting and looked back at him until he looked away.

He then proceeds to handle his pistol after we have called for a cold range. I politely ask him to put it down as range rules prohibit the handling of firearms when the range is cold. He sets it down and I smile braoadly at him, not trying to be a dick. he gets this WTF look on his face and his friend walks back up from the target area and says " he is totally right".

The guy fires off about 8 rounds, ALL OVER the target, IF they hit at all from 7 yards. He proceeds to put the gun down, POINTING AT ME! (I do not think he did this on purpose, I think he was just a complete fuckwit.) I get a bit pissed off at this point and begin commenting to my friend about people not knowing safety and range rules not belonging here in a very loud voice.

They guy took the hint very quickly, packed his shit up and left.

I plan to talk to the owner of the range, I assume this guy was a guest and as such had not been through the 3 hour talk/safety course the owner gives upon joining the club. He is a pretty straight forward old guy, and I am sure he will deal with the situation quickly.

It just amazes me all the fucking time how many morons there are out there with guns. It is a small percentage I am sure compared to responsible informed owners, but goddam, you still see it all the time.

2. I always try to go to the range during off-hours. It's scary how dense some people are.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

We have a "gun range horror stories" on our local forum, lots of stories like that. The only public range we have here is unattended and free, and there's no course to go through to shoot there, just a big sign with the rules.

I like the passive aggressive approach (commenting loudly to your friend), because talking directly to someone and pissing them off can get sketchy with loaded guns in everyone's hands (and our range is in BFE), when you don't know how crazy the other guy is.

I like going early Sunday morning.

4. Nolimit26927

Nolimit26927 High Class White Trash OT Supporter

The one off of S.R. 40?

5. oakback

oakback New Member

I dunno, I don't see an SR40, click "BFE" in the previous post for the map (it's the little white rectangle in the center).

6. Crossett

Crossett New Member

3 hour safety course to shoot at a range? jesus christ, the longest i've ever sat through was about 5-10 minutes

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Austin Rifle Club has a 3 hour course, but it's worth it.

You go to Red's?

8. Crossett

Crossett New Member

yeah but red's doesn't have a course. I was talking about Eagle Peak

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Oh, I don't go to Eagle Peak because they don't allow FMJ. The only centerfire stuff I can afford to shoot these days is surplus rifle rounds.

10. Crossett

Crossett New Member

yeah i don't use their rifle range much because of the FMJ thing. they're kind of biased against black rifles and use that rule to try and keep them out. i do use their handgun and skeet range fairly often though.

11. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I signed up to a club to get away from that sort of shit. We're self-policed, but it is very rigorous and well-enforced.

Our range briefing is about an hour, but that includes a tour of all the separate range areas and little blurbs about the various bay rules.

12. Crossett

Crossett New Member

I was just looking at their site, how's the range?

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They are all really nice. I use the general use range most often to just stay proficient with a pistol but I also go over to the rifle range whenever I mess around with one of my long guns. I've been a member for about 2 years and I don't go anywhere else. The membership is expensive if you only go to the range a few times a year, but I think it's worth it for the whole package. The new practical pistol ranges are finally up and running, so there are now IPSC and IDPA matches going on out there. I was really happy to see that get voted in because my father designed them. If you ever want to check the range out, send me a PM, guests are allowed with full members.

14. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

psshhhtt ive never had them check what im firing, i shoot FMJ there in my AR allllll the time

15. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

i always go to reds to shoot pistol though, i like having adjustable distance targets