MIL DUI and becoming a pilot

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aviator, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Hey guys, got a question. It's actually on behalf of my little bro who is a junior in college at CU Boulder right now. He has recently decided that he really wants to fly helicopters in the military. I think he's thinking Army...he really wants to fly Apaches. However, he just recently got arrested for DUI. He really screwed up, but it's his first and his case is still pending. He just hired a lawyer today and apparently there is a good chance he can get it bargained down to a DWAI, a lesser offense. Regardless...whether he ends up with a DUI or a DWAI....how will this affect his being able to join up and become a helo pilot? He's planning to talk to a recruiter soon and ask about it.

My thinking is that he has a better chance being allowed to fly in the military with a DUI than he would on the civilian side. I really have no idea though, so I'd really appreciate some input. Thanks guys.

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I would just be guessing if anything but I would tell him to go to the forums over at www.military.com and talk to some of the recruiters there

3. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

Im sure he can get a waiver for it.

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

The DWAI is waiverable, the DUI, however, would take more work.

The Army and the Marine Corps would both love him and would both allow him to fly rotors.

It would also depend on his college GPA.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

He seems to need more brains.

6. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

it's waiverable in the AF as well - i have a buddy with a similar story - actually he had more of a record than that, and he's in my squadron flying right now

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

before or after the mass exodus?

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

make sure he tells the judge that he is planning on joining the military.

More than likely the charge will be dropped to reckless driving or something. I've never seen someone get slammed with a full charge for their first DUI.

9. SweetDaddyO

his offenses were prior to his attending OTS, which he did about 3 years ago

10. Jyokker

I meant, did he join before the mass exodus?

11. SweetDaddyO

are you referring to the slashing of officers from the '02/'03 fiscal years?

if so, no he joined just in time, but since he was a rated officer, he was exempt from the "force shaping"

12. Jyokker

yes.

13. Aviator

Aviator Banned

:rolleyes: Fuck off.

14. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Well thanks guys. It will most likely be a DWAI, and its a long shot that it could get dropped to reckless. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. After all, the military needs people, especially now.

15. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Oh I know that and so does my brother. I was just responding to Peter's stupid comment.

My brother doesn't want to do any OCS crap, he just wants to fly helicopters. Army pilots don't have to be officers, right?

16. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

troof

17. Aviator

Aviator Banned

You know, you're a fucking idiot. You don't know anything about my brother. Do you have any idea how stupid the DUI laws are and how easy it can be to get a DUI put on your record, whether you were perfectly capable of handling your vehicle or not. Do you have any idea how little alcohol it takes to reach a BAC of .08? Someone like a college student who drinks a lot regularly can be at that limit and hardly feel it. Almost everyone has driven at that limit or higher and didn't get caught. He was just unlucky.

But regardless, my brother is very responsible and very smart...he just made a mistake. This one incident(the only one on his record) has NOTHING to do with his ability to be a good pilot and a good soldier.

18. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Aviator

Aviator Banned

How stupid of me...to think that ANY subforum of OT could take anything seriously. I guess it's still OT...bunch of fucking stupid kids.

20. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Shut the fuck up and get of here if you can't respect members of the US Military. Many of them here have fought and been wounded overseas. If your brother ends up in the military makes another "mistake" of receiving another DUI he is fucked even more.

Before you start drinking you should have a fucking PACE plan if you give a shit about your life/career. For those who don't know what that means...Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

Shut your fucking face (or in this case - fingertips).

The only thing stupid is your brother who got behind the wheel when he was fucking drunk. No argument you make will change this fact and if your brother was responsible, he wouldn't have been driving drunk. It takes exactly 4 beers in just 1 hour for an average 170 pound man to reach a BAC of .08, this is indisputible. You said your brother was just unlucky - BULLSHIT. Your brother should consider himself lucky that he didn't kill someone by being so irresponsible and so motherfucking stupid.

Seems as though you're just as dumb as your brother, and considering that you have the screenname "Aviator," you're asking about how to become a pilot, and you're being so incredible defensive, me thinks this thread is actually about YOU and you probably don't even have a brother.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

Yeah, that "stupid kid" is only a United States Marine who is a combat veteran and received a purple heart in Iraq.

Idiot.

23. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:werd:

Did not know what that meant but I always have a plan of whats going on before drinking

24. Accord

Accord New Member

25. Aviator

Aviator Banned

You may have served in the military but that doesn't mean YOU aren't an ASSHOLE! I am 24 years old, a pilot, licensed aircraft mechanic, and have a BS in Aeronautical Technology from Purdue University. And I've been on OT with this name for quite a while now. My brother is 21 years old, a junior at CU Boulder and really wants to fly helicopters.

I wasn't posting here to debate the DUI laws(although they are complete bullshit and your "exact, indisputable" comments about the number of beers it takes to reach .08 IS complete bullshit...EVERYONE is different in how their body processes alcohol. Furthermore, just because THEY made the law .08 DOESNT mean that EVERYONE is incapable of safely driving a vehicle! But again, I digress)..,I was here to ask the professional opinions of the few people on OT that MIGHT know what they're talking about. But you're going to start an attitude with me, you can just go fuck off. Being a war hero doesn't give you the right to be an asshole JUST BECAUSE. If you really have a problem, you can come right here to San Diego and we can talk face to face. I have no problem with that. I have several friends in the military both from school and on SEAL team 7 here in SD. I have great respect for those people, but all I know of you is you're some guy being a fucking asshole on the internet. Again, feel free to call me up some time.

You need to get off your fucking high horse about the DUI issue. You act like every person who serves with distinction in the military NEVER fractured a law before they joined up. I KNOW FOR A FACT that to be false, just from the few that I know! And as for civilian pilots...I WATCHED pilots in college take EX and hit bongs...and now they're airline pilots! It's nothing new and it makes NO difference now because they have grown up and are professional pilots now.

Now...this really is about my brother and he REALLY does have the intention of serving. I can see how the superficial impression you may have of him may make you think he wouldn't be cut out for it or shouldn't be allowed to join, but you know absolutely nothing about his character. And in case you weren't aware, people tend to grow the MOST after making mistakes. I'm not here for a debate and I really don't care about your personal opinion. I was looking for informed information and I got it. So THANK YOU.