Ducati Monster :bowdown:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Coottie, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Stopped by the BMW dealership Friday to get my brakes and oil changed. While waiting the salesman was telling me all about the new Ducatis.

I didn't like the naked look of the Monster at first but then, as I was waiting for my bike, I found myself staring at it. Now I can't get my mind off of it.

I'm thinking of the Monster S2R 1000. They have a red one with a white stripe that looks pimp!!! and a black one with a white stripe. Price is around $11,000

Anyone have any experience with the Monster??

Pics below the specs.

Here are the specs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I never had a monster only the SBKs 748 and 916.

You would be looking at the Two Valve desmo with the S2R. Excellent bike but for a bit more money you can get the S4R with the 1098 motor and that's water cooled.. They have a bit more upright riding position which is great for lots of miles of riding. The only bad thing about air cooled ducati's is if you are stuck in traffic durning summer months it could damage the bike. At least that's what I heard from Monster riders? I think that bull shit IMHO.

3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

it can happen, but the same is true of any aircooled engine. CA ftw though, lanesplitting is legal.

4. i64X

i64X New Member

Looks better than the ones with the crazy headlights. I still like the looks of most of the Japanese naked bikes more than the Monsters though. Ducati > * with the 848 though.

5. Coottie

I thought about the S4R but I don't like the looks of the radiator on the front. To me it looks like one small rock at highway speeds could ruin it and it's just ugly IMO.

My BMW is air/oil cooled and I've never once had a problem with overheating....and in Oklahoma we get 100+ degree days in summer. Ok...so BMW and Ducati aren't the same companies but you know. :)

You've heard this from other Monster riders? Really? I mean what's so different about these engines than say a Harley or any other VTwin that's air cooled? Do they also have a prob with overheating?

6. Coottie

Are there rules/laws governing when/where you can do it? Like not on highways or above a certain MPH?

7. Coottie

Why the 848? This one has a 1,000 cc motor and I've heard it will run like a scalded cat.

8. aCab

aCab New Member

More up to date race technology in a street package? :dunno:

9. Coottie

They're totally different types of bikes tho. I mean that's sort of like comparing a cruiser to a sport bike.

10. aCab

aCab New Member

I agree with you there. I agree with them and say you'd be better off getting the S4R. New technology for a minimally higher price. If you just like the look of the monster and care not about performance, why not get an older 620? There is no problem with the radiator being up front - you ever heard of a lot of SV riders having problems with road debris messing them up? Me neither. Manufacturers, esp. Ducati, wouldn't put a radiator in a place that is prone to fail.

11. Coottie

Yeah I do like the looks of the Monsters. I sat on the 1098S and I couldn't stand the position of my feet. I'm too long legged I guess. The Monster was more relaxed, has more HP than my BMW, lower weight so it should me more responsive. And I've read/heard that the monsters are quite capable in the corners.

Really my think was to get a sport bike this summer. I'm not sure which one but I was thinking about a CBR 1000 or something like that. The Monster seemed like a better bike....but I actually like the looks of the CBR more.

I dunno.

Oh and good point about the radiator. Just seems funny looking to me...that's all.

12. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Ya that's what the monster riders say. I did do a bunch of meets in daytona and they would never want sit in traffic on our rides. I think ducati builds a great bike and if I were to buy another bike it would be a ducati even the small monster 695? is a great bike to ride around with.

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

[​IMG]

dual sport conversion of a monster. Ducati should go ahead and just build this thing.

14. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

no laws specifically mention it, although there are laws saying you can pass if there's room for you to pretty much...

15. squid

squid braap

Two vehicles can share the same lane and even overtake each other so long as it's done in a safe and prudent manner.

For the life of me I can't understand why this would be illegal anywhere. It's safer, alleviates traffic congestion, and promotes high-efficiency, low road wear-and-tear vehicles to the public. It's win-win for everyone.

16. Coottie

Well I'm not sure I agree....for cars, it doesn't seem to work as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qun9jiLww8M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRE2eIdYRtY

But for bikes, it does seem much more efficient:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFoP2TxvbRw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCvtEjML6QU&feature=related